• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Rain over watering my plants?

We've had daily rains here in Central Florida. Usually of the torrential downpour nature. My concern is that my plants are getting over watered. Does anyone have any suggestions to combat this? My plants are in pots or large raised beds (not on the ground) but there is no way I can bring all of that in the house every day. 

Thoughts? 

you say concern?   im guessing they look like they are over watered or do they look fine?  if they look fine you dont have anything to be concerned about.

only thing i can think for you to do is move them under cover.

Had the issue on my side of Orlando too. If the pots have a well draining soil and plenty of holes there is almost no concern for overwatering. Mine have been just fine through it (the watering part, the whole wind and water weight is a WHOLE separate issue for me). As for the beds, I'm not too sure - only experience is with pots.

Some are starting to look a little angry. Some are ok. I think we'll have a bit with no rain so it should be ok (crossing fingers). 

We have had late winter blast here too.  Heavy rain and even some hail over the last couple of days.  My peppers are still looking pretty good though.

I've been throwing Kelp and Tomato Tone at them pretty regularly. I hope that's enough for now. I might do some other amendment as I watch the leaves. I just look at the leaves and can usually go from there (I hope). 

Hi.  I am in the same situation here with a raised bed using only topsoil this year.  I hope that this would be constituted as rain damage and overwatering as a result of such.  Here are a couple of pictures of what I have remaining.  This is also attached to my thread as well.

0lip2lA.jpg

1tPOQHP.jpg

pLQ3Wdq.jpg

Don't worry too much about the Florida rains. If you have a lot of mulch, pull it out until it gets dry. Put some shade cloth over your plants, if you are really in a pickle. Mine are all in a screened enclosure, and I'm just fine, so if that's an option for you, by all means. Whatever you can do to reduce the droplet size, and diffuse it. Screens tend to atomize it, so you get a nice misting. In fact, usually I end up having to water semi-normally, but it's not a bad problem to have, if you ask me. (as opposed to the other)

Don't over think this one. Make sure you have plenty of drain holes (raised beds have a very large one) and don't water them until needed. If you don't have a ton of pots of course you can move them to a dryer area.

I think you'll all be fine.

A lot will depend on how porous your soil is.

My plants, in Walybag containers, are growing in a very loose mix of ProMix HP (High Porosity, indeed!) and assorted 'stuff.'  The mix is perhaps too fluffy, if such a thing is possible.  Here in Az, I need to completely drench each plant every other day - well over a quart  - to avoid significant wilting and deep dying of the soil.  The water gets evaporated, cooling the soil and making the plants quite happy. I'm confident that an inch of monsoonal rain won't even tickle the plants.

OTOH, my early-season soil mix was definitely too dense (The real cause was a dense grower trying to go uber cheap!), and I had chronic root rot, chlorosis, and other problems, despite being very frugal with the water. 

If the soil drains well and the containers have plenty of vents, I suspect the plants will rather enjoy the drink.  As suggested, gently applying a few more fertz probably won't hurt.

I got a flatbed cart to help haul mine back and forth. I grow in pots, and they normally have sufficient drainage, but some years we just get drenched. Last year, for example, even all the in-ground plants - ALL - started turning yellow. I mean trees, bushes…. everything. There were wide-spread crop issues in the state because of all the rain. I haul mine into the garage and keep the door open for light when the rain is sustained too long. A couple to three days, fine, but weeks is too much. My pots were already heavy from the last rain, and we got it again last night and today, and are supposed to keep getting it for the next four days, so Into the garage they go…..

It's been really rainy here in Virginia as well.  The fabric pots have come in handy for drainage and drying, although most of my plants haven't been liking it because it's been coupled with 50ºF nightly temperatures.  That finally broke so I fed the plants and they're doing fine.  It got up to 98º today and the plants look really happy. Pepper daddy isn't happy though, I prefer the 50º

I prefer 76F all the way. But it's the days way below and above that make me appreciate more when we do have 76F. 

I hauled mine into the garage this evening. Cart or no, it's a big job when you've got 40 or more plants in rain-soaked pots. Fortunately my car still fits in there, too.

Its rained 22 out of the last 27 days of course the temps have been 85-95 degrees during the day and 68-75 at night, but the plants seem to be loving life, they are still way behind since I didn't start them til march, but They are starting to pick up speed!

I started mine late as well. I notice that some are a little yelliowish but it's also hot as hell here. It doesn't get that cool here at night it stays around 80ish. Also, with the crazy humidity it never cools down around here lol. I can't wait for all my peppers to fruit and ripen :) 

Back