• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Rainwater Question

We finally got hit with one of those big thunderstorms yesterday, and boy did we need the water. I just happened to collect several gallons off my roof in very large containers. I have asphalt type shingles and the water was pretty dirty due to no rain for several months. Is this water ok to use on my plants or should I not risk it?

If you didn't collect it, it would have just gone into the ground. Maybe not on your plants but still in the ground. I don't see an issue, but I'm no expert on this sort of thing.

SL3 said:
.......the water was pretty dirty due to no rain for several months. Is this water ok to use on my plants or should I not risk it?

As long as it's not oily. You're pouring it into dirt, after all

Sounds good I'll try it. I also have the mosquito problem, so I will get them covered pronto. 

I use rain water every chance I get and see only positive effects compared to tap water.  They usually shoot up a couple inches the day after they get rainwater.  I mostly attribute it to having a slightly acidic pH compared to slightly alkaline tapwater here.

Algae and mosquitoes are definitely issues.  For the former try to store the water in containers that block as much light as possible, and of course keep the lids on.

Back