• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Raised air pruning beds

I brought this topic up in the PNW glog and jim suggested that I post this here for more input on this topic as well as sharing ideas on this.

I have been looking into creating a raised bed air pruning setup and have been thinking about this the last few weeks and was curious that I have not seen nor found thru the web reguarding anything on it.  It would be the same principal as using multible airpots other than doing it in 30 ft. long x 24" w set up in tiers ( or what ever size would fit a persons growing situation) utilizing geotextile fabric with expanded metal mesh and supports as strenghts (thanks for the input Devv) for holding the fabric along with on the sides.   If anyone has tried this your input would be greatly appreciated on the outcome and the possible pitfall and such, Thanks

Proud Marine Dad said:
Why use air pruning in a raised bed? Just curious? 
I was thinking about this in terms of better overall root structure from air pruning. I took notice of some pepper plants that I dug up from my tiered raised garden and some that I had in reg 10 gal pots along with 1 that I had in a large soft air pot and the soft air pot hands down had a massive root system compared to the others that all used the same type compost mix. 

organic pepper said:
I was thinking about this in terms of better overall root structure from air pruning. I took notice of some pepper plants that I dug up from my tiered raised garden and some that I had in reg 10 gal pots along with 1 that I had in a large soft air pot and the soft air pot hands down had a massive root system compared to the others that all used the same type compost mix. 
Besides the root structure being massive, any other differences between the plants, i.e., overall size, pod production...?  Bottom line: does air pruning produce better/more pods?

Roguejim said:
Besides the root structure being massive, any other differences between the plants, i.e., overall size, pod production...?  Bottom line: does air pruning produce better/more pods?
The plant from the airpot was healthier all the way around. I felt the growth was phenomenal.  As for pods and pepper production the air pruned one was a constant producer for me. But the only way to really determine the full benefits of air pruning would be doing side by side utilizing 1 parent stock to use for cuttings.

I've used raised beds for similar purposes in the past, and compared the results to plants placed in pots.  What I found was that the raised bed plants had very much more vigorous root systems compared to potted plants.  I had fewer problems with keeping the plants well hydrated.  Everything is on an automatic drip system, but sometimes I see heat stress on the potted plants which I did not see on the raised bed plants.  I usually water 2-3 times a day in the summer, and twice a day in the winter.  All these plants were growing in a greenhouse.  Frankly, one of the biggest challenges with the raised beds is that it is quite a bit of work to remove a pepper from the bed.  The roots are so strong and extensive that you pretty much need to use a sharp shovel and work your way around the plant.  I finally decided to leave the roots in the planting mix to rot, and just cut off the tops of plants I did not want.  I planted new seedlings near the old locations, and continued the process.  I used copious amounts of compost on the beds and pots, and found that in the beds the compost disappeared quite quickly.  I believe that the extra aeration was causing me to have faster decompostion of the compost.  Would I raise again in beds?  Maybe, maybe not.  I think I got better quality pods, and probably more pods from the raised bed plants, but I'm not sure I want to go to the extra work the beds entailed as I transition plants.  I am quite satisfied with my potted plant production at the moment. One other reason I used raised beds was that I thought I could squeeze more plants into a given space in the greenhouse.  I was able to put 16 plants in a 4'x4' bed, and have them grow well.  It was definitely a pain harvesting some of the inside portions of the plants, and, again, I am not sure it was worth it.  Since I am not aiming for absolutely maximum production, I am now tending to ease of growing over planting efficiency.
Renais

organic pepper said:
True if they are all in pots but for something that large I would go with raised beds personally.

Renais1 said:
I've used raised beds for similar purposes in the past, and compared the results to plants placed in pots.  What I found was that the raised bed plants had very much more vigorous root systems compared to potted plants.  I had fewer problems with keeping the plants well hydrated.  Everything is on an automatic drip system, but sometimes I see heat stress on the potted plants which I did not see on the raised bed plants.  I usually water 2-3 times a day in the summer, and twice a day in the winter.  All these plants were growing in a greenhouse.  Frankly, one of the biggest challenges with the raised beds is that it is quite a bit of work to remove a pepper from the bed.  The roots are so strong and extensive that you pretty much need to use a sharp shovel and work your way around the plant.  I finally decided to leave the roots in the planting mix to rot, and just cut off the tops of plants I did not want.  I planted new seedlings near the old locations, and continued the process.  I used copious amounts of compost on the beds and pots, and found that in the beds the compost disappeared quite quickly.  I believe that the extra aeration was causing me to have faster decompostion of the compost.  Would I raise again in beds?  Maybe, maybe not.  I think I got better quality pods, and probably more pods from the raised bed plants, but I'm not sure I want to go to the extra work the beds entailed as I transition plants.  I am quite satisfied with my potted plant production at the moment. One other reason I used raised beds was that I thought I could squeeze more plants into a given space in the greenhouse.  I was able to put 16 plants in a 4'x4' bed, and have them grow well.  It was definitely a pain harvesting some of the inside portions of the plants, and, again, I am not sure it was worth it.  Since I am not aiming for absolutely maximum production, I am now tending to ease of growing over planting efficiency.
Renais
Thanks for the input on this. You helped answer another question I was wondering about on decomposition of compost. Very informative.

organic pepper, you may have to be the pioneer on this one. Looking forward to photos of the process if you go through with it.

I just went and looked at some of the raised bed material left from my last grow in them. They have been without
plants for about 4 months now, and are still so stuffed with roots that my sharp spade shovel has difficulty
penetrating still. The beds are mellowing as the roots rot, but I have not been keeping the beds wet, so the decay is gradual. I should note that if you are looking for fabric to make the beds, Costco sells a weed barrier that is not too expensive, and lasts for multiple years, even out in the sun. I find this material to be stronger than some of the thinner materials found, for instance, at Home Depot. I very heavily amend my growing materials with
partially matured compost. The compost matures as it sits in the growing bed or pot. What I find is that in raised beds the base of the bed might have fully matured compost, but there are so many roots that the soil is basically
white with roots; it is difficult to see the substrate. Some of my pots might have somewhat similar root densities, but usually do not. Also, there are certain peppers that I find respond better than others to the beds.
Renais

Back