soil Raised bed soil type?

I am setting up my raised beds.  Over on GW in the raised bed section they go on and on about Mel's mix being the one and only solution for ultimate success.  Go ahead and look; they will even flame people for presenting arguments to this.  I trust their expertise, but do not know how well this applies to peppers, especially super hots.  I know I have read they like sandy soil, and need something that drains well.

Mel's mix consists of 1-1-1 ratio of vermiculite, sphagnum peat moss, and a mixture of at least 5 varieties of compost.  I am adding a 70lb bag of general purpose sand for every 10f^3 of mix.  I am also adding a thin layer of pea pebble to the bottom for drainage assistance.

Does this seem like a sound plan? 

adding gravel layers will not really aid in draining the soil. it will however push the perched water table higher up.

if you are worried about drainage, id suggest adding some perlite, or sharp sand.... perlite would be better imo.

if you actualy mix the gravel into the soil, it will slightly aide in drainage, but perlite and sand will be better.

remember that peat is hydrophobic. you might want to add a surfactant to get better wetting and re wetting.

mels mix is the square foot gardening mix right? it makes sense there are such adherents to it... but it all depends on how you want to grow.

if you have a good irrigation system, you could definatly go for a lighter soilless mix, and pump a CRF.... but its all up to you.

Yes it is the square foot gardening mix.

I do use an irrigation system.  I bottom and top water simultaneously.  I have a grid of soaker tubing run through the lower portion of the soil and have low output sprayers on top.

Can you haul or get delivered to you municipal compost by the yard. -usually from shredded leaves and yard waste?

It is typically anywhere from free-$30 per yard plus hauling. Unless my soil was sterile clay(sub-soil) I might use up to 40% soil and 50% compost 10% sand. Err of the side of compost. Some dolomite from the feed store is a good idea. Then apply TomatoTone and kelp as directed on the package. I'd try to get that mix together 30-60 days before plant-out to let the organic ferts start to release to cover for any deficiencies the compost might have. Peppers are pretty forgiving if the soil stays aerated.

queequeg152 said:
if you are worried about drainage, id suggest adding some perlite, or sharp sand.... perlite would be better im

+1 on the perlite instead of the vermiculite.  I used vermiculite in my mel mix last year and my peppers did not like it, their roots stayed too wet.

Switched to perlite this year for my mix and have been using it for my seed starts as well as transplants and the soil has much better drainage.   

Ha i was just looking at the same source and wondering the same thing. Im growing in 5gal bags which is close to 1cu.ft. per bag, which is about 1 40lb bag per 5gal bag. Which means that even buying the cheapest stuff at home depot, ill be spending around 150 for my mix. Trying to find a bulk dealer. But i think the 1-1-1 mix would be pretty decent

For my outdoor semi-raised (half in ground) beds I just amended my local red dirt with plenty of compost, aged cow poo, perlite and vermiculite. Have done pretty well.

I am no professional by any means, as only a second year grower, but last year, I built a raised bed and filled it with standard 4-in-1 topsoil, and had good success here.

Have a search for praxxus55712 on YouTube. He has grown some amazing plants inc. tomatoes and chillis in raised beds. He did a few videos on his raised beds not long ago.

Pinhigh said:
Have a search for praxxus55712 on YouTube. He has grown some amazing plants inc. tomatoes and chillis in raised beds. He did a few videos on his raised beds not long ago.

At his old place he was using raised beds. I think he's doing in ground now. Good source though!

Yeah, he has new ones on the go now though. He just built/filled them and is letting them sit over winter. Has a thick layer of grass clipping in the bottom of each to start decomposing for an extra kick!

i used lasagna beds last year and had great results..

4nXThA7.jpg

filmost said:
For my outdoor semi-raised (half in ground) beds I just amended my local red dirt with plenty of compost, aged cow poo, perlite and vermiculite. Have done pretty well.
Exactly the same for me

Scuba_Steve said:
I am setting up my raised beds.  Over on GW in the raised bed section they go on and on about Mel's mix being the one and only solution for ultimate success.  Go ahead and look; they will even flame people for presenting arguments to this.  I trust their expertise, but do not know how well this applies to peppers, especially super hots.  I know I have read they like sandy soil, and need something that drains well.

Mel's mix consists of 1-1-1 ratio of vermiculite, sphagnum peat moss, and a mixture of at least 5 varieties of compost.  I am adding a 70lb bag of general purpose sand for every 10f^3 of mix.  I am also adding a thin layer of pea pebble to the bottom for drainage assistance.

Does this seem like a sound plan? 
I have used squarefoot gardens for last 2 years, check out my 2013 and 2014 GLOG. Did a 4 x 4 and a 8 x 4.

These plants did ok....  :dance:

1238072_642270052473391_82641810_n.jpg

The corner plant was a 7 POD White...here is up close on it...

1275419_650836751616721_2091058186_o.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have used squarefoot gardens for last 2 years, check out my 2013 and 2014 GLOG. Did a 4 x 4 and a 8 x 4.

These plants did ok....  :dance:

1238072_642270052473391_82641810_n.jpg

The corner plant was a 7 POD White...here is up close on it...

1275419_650836751616721_2091058186_o.jpg
Damn I love how those pods look!

Back