• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Raised bed - wanna let it cook

You are in a great zone for winter-growing Others. Spinach was my fall sown winner for this spring, but cilantro also so excellent. May need a light cover, but it actually helps prep the soil for Peppers 2023.

That'd be a lot of spinach, lol! Man, I love cilantro.. I've tried to grow it indoors a few times but it always bolts on me.

Digging in the dirt to level the spot for the bed the other day hurt me. Just as well that it's raining while I get a little rest. Eager to build the box and get it tapped into place, though.

Hey, Unc, that dappled shade should be
great for the peppers in the hot weather.
Can't wait to see your bed in action.

Plant cilantro in early September , spinach too
Here's my 4x10 bed last Christmas day.
Spinach in the back only took up about 2x5

IMG_1547 (2).jpg

This was March 11.

IMG_1856.jpg

Picked as needed, the last of it was on May 15
as it was starting to bolt.
IMG_2159 (2).jpg

Just in time to fill the space with peppers.
May 19

IMG_2302 (2).jpg

j

:D:D:D
It was a bit overkill. But I could go grab a handleful about any day of winter if it fit the meal -Asian, Mexican. I did a signficant late fall harvest that I ground up with oil and garlic then froze for a sort of "antibasil pesto" base. I also had a few plants in the garden border that wintered without protection or volenteered, I've let them flower for pollenators and waiting on seed for coriander.

Ordered hardware cloth. I should build the box today, but my allergies are horrible and I really don't want to be outdoors. Gotta wait for the hardware cloth, anyway.

Did it anyway. Can slide the hardware cloth underneath. I'm amazed at how close my eyeball level was. Sweaty and mosquito-bitten now.

20220618_202401.jpg

I think I'll move that top support down a position. I don't want to see it.

Last edited:
Plant cilantro in early September , spinach too
Here's my 4x10 bed last Christmas day.
Spinach in the back only took up about 2x5

IMG_1547 (2).jpg
You're north of me - how did you manage to keep them going through January, to avoid frost damage? Was that "hoop house" really enough?

If so you're going to have to share your tricks, because I keep failing at it...

Did it anyway. Can slide the hardware cloth underneath. I'm amazed at how close my eyeball level was. Sweaty and mosquito-bitten now.

20220618_202401.jpg

I think I'll move that top support down a position. I don't want to see it.
I have a few almost exactly the same. Got a lot of stuff growing very nicely in them - looking forward to seeing what you get going!

Here's a little read about composting woody materials that has a nice little chart for picking the best wood for your project. The even go into the crop succession a little, to coincide with the maturity of your culture.

A nice add to the other reference @JJJessee added from Grass City. I really need to make myself a little chart that covers all of those additives because I keep forgetting this stuff when I need it the most. Might could've saved myself some problems with a little alfalfa meal in my mix this year.

You're north of me - how did you manage to keep them going through January, to avoid frost damage? Was that "hoop house" really enough?

If so you're going to have to share your tricks, because I keep failing at it...
To be honest I was a little suprised myself. The fabric is just thin Agribon. It mainly blocks wind which is very hard winter greens even if it doesn't kill them. It's possible that raised beds are an overall plus at keeping the soil warmer than in-ground but that would bare some testing. If a veggie variety is deemed more cold hardy I usually go with that one.

I've been relatively lazy. There's the Northern Lights skeleton and a cardboard box in there. Still no hardware cloth down. I can't operate in the heat; one of my meds, apparently.

Back