• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Raja Mirch ?

So I figured Raja Mirch is just another name for a Bhut Jolokia. Got the seeds and the pods are now ripening. I had to take a pic because they are huge. Its tough to tell from the picture but the larger pods are 4.5" long. Do Bhuts get that large as well? Mine were like 3" maximum last year.

largepods.jpg

They look long and "carved" like the Bhut Jolokia. where did you get your seeds? chileseeds.co.uk? :lol:

Raja Mirch is a real name. it means "King Chile", a common name in some areas given to the Jolokia-type chiles. I received seeds and pods several years ago of a chile called "Raja Mirch" and it turned out to be a Jolokia-type. slightly different than most others and obviously yours. mine is short, chubby, pimply, super flavorful, extremely hot, starts pale green (near white), becomes darker green, fully orange and only later the final red color. chileseeds.co.uk have only been selling their "Raja Mirch" recently and it look NOTHING like mine. honestly it looks like a Bhut Jolokia - the largest of the Jolokia-type chiles. once they were a reputable source, but with the Naga Viper and 1,500,000SHU claim of the "Raja Mirch", I think it's just another gimmick.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

orangerajamirch.jpg

reallyorangeraja.jpg

rajamirch.jpg

I think you should just enjoy them and don't mind the name. as for them being unusually large, well... Bhuts are quite large. maybe your Bhuts aren't really Bhuts.

I believe the Raja Morich, naga jolokia, and the Bhut Jolokia are the same chili.

Just grown in different areas, by different ethnicities, with different languages.

Like in new mexico the new mexico chili is just refered to as chili. but out side of new mexico it called new mexico chili.

And down south chili, refers to chili beans. not actuall chili plants or chili pods.

I believe the Raja Morich, naga jolokia, and the Bhut Jolokia are the same chili.

Just grown in different areas, by different ethnicities, with different languages.

Like in new mexico the new mexico chili is just refered to as chili. but out side of new mexico it called new mexico chili.

And down south chili, refers to chili beans. not actuall chili plants or chili pods.
There are obvious differences that are more likely to be genetic than cultural, such has different grow rate, different number of pods per node, different sized pods, different heat levels, different ripening process, different flavors, even if only slightly. there are differences, my friend. I do consider them all the same chile-type though and all are simply variations of it.

Back