• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Ran the Big Chief today....

Salmon season is winding down, decided to run a small batch for a few outbound gifts.

Pretty simple recipe

Salmon fillets cut into desired pieces (pinbones removed with needle nose pliers)

Recipe works for approx 10-15 lbs of fillets

Dry brine mix:
4 cups light brown sugar packed
3/4 cup canning/pickling salt

Mix them together until fully combined.

Take fillet pieces and gently but firmly rub mix onto all exposed surfaces....
Place into deep non reactive pan and cover with more of the dry brine mix...layer as needed.

Once everything is covered, place remaining dry mix over entire surface

As it brines, it will pull out the blood and moisture still remaining in the flesh.
This will create a liquid molasses type fluid as the flesh brines in the mixture.
After 24 to 48 hrs, remove from liquid and gently rinse 2 to 3 seconds and place onto smoker racks.

Let pieces air dry until tacky and apply seasoning/flavoring of your choice or not.
I prefer chili pepper flakes, but have used fresh cracked black pepper or Lemon pepper as well in the past.

I use Apple chips for fish, adds a mild flavor and compliments the fish nicely.
I use 2-3 pans full. Never more....any more tends to add a bitter smoked flavor and over powers the desired taste.

After 1st pan of chips, getting all sexy!

This was 3 pans, and another hr to get it to desired results. I like a firm yet still slightly moist product.
Great for dips, spreads, Omelettes or just plain with a beer  :cheers:

And the MONEY shot!!!

Here is the recipe I've used to make salmon spread from my smoked salmon for many years. It's pretty popular.

4 oz smoked salmon
8 oz cream cheese
4 oz sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or a little less
A shake or two of ground cayenne pepper

To prepare the salmon I use a liquid brine, and after it air dries I coat it with a mixture made of equal parts of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and brown sugar.

http://amzn.to/2g05qf1

and

http://amzn.to/2fEpVcR

grantmichaels said:
Each time ... when I see those, it makes me wonder if I could like salmon ...

You don't like smoked salmon/lox etc?

I don't like salmon cooked but love it smoked. Cooked/grilled etc. to pink tastes like cat food, similar to tuna cooked through, but love rare tuna with a sear.

Pepperhead1989 said:
Too bad it won't ship! I honestly don't like too much fish but this looks damn good!

This will indeed be shipped after it gets vac packed tomorrow.

I Ship it every yr in 2/3 day priority mailer boxes, after the initial 24hr rest and cool down at room temp.

I wouldn't ship it in 90* F  August temps, but I have no issues shipping November through May.

I usually keep it on the counter in that bowl up to a week at room temp 65* - 70*...then refrigerate another 2 weeks if needed(if it lasts that long)

Anything left over goes into Vac pack bags and into the freezer and gets used in dips or sandwiches.

Been doing this about 20 yrs now to friends and family.

winland said:
Pictures of the smoker, Big Chief?

I searched and came up with this Big Chief
These are made and distributed by a local fishing tackle distributor in Hood river Or by Luhr Jenson.

They have top loaders and front loaders....the top loaders is what I use. I have 3 of these.

I keep the cardboard box and use it as an insulating liner from the wind and cold temps for fall winter smoking.
(Be sure to place unit on a NON COMBUSTABLE SURFACE) Heat, wood, fish oil, and card board can lead to burning your house down.

Here's the rack, the unit, and the box with pan in place on top of the heating element.

It says 50 lb capacity on the box, but too much moisture involved so I get best results keeping it to a 20lb max.

Looks good Dan. My grandfather used one of the little chiefs for as long as I've been alive. I've got one as well. We put the box over it as well when smoking. Great little smokers. Nice and slow.

Thanks for sharing.

Back