• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

RANT!!! just need to VENT!

I dropped off a really nice bag of asst super hot peppers cause I discovered a friend of a member of the family of a friend (you follow that)? liked hot stuff. I dropped off this nice freshly picked bag of peppers about 2 months ago.

I just found out this afternoon that the bag was taken home and has been sitting there ever since! Untouched. I am just so f***ing pissed right now.

I give away a lot of peppers, (A LOT OF PEPPERS), and I dont mind doing so if it gets used. I know I could have given those peppers to someone who would have eaten them. Or I could have made powder out of them. anything other than letting them rot.

And then there's the so called freeloaders too. You take pounds of peppers into work or elsewhere and they go like popcorn at the theater. mention $$$ to help offset growing expenses and all of a sudden no one wants hot peppers.

After this year, I think I am done with that. I'll sell them plants and they can work for their pods.

CAPCOM said:
I dropped off a really nice bag of asst super hot peppers cause I discovered a friend of a member of the family of a friend (you follow that)? liked hot stuff. I dropped off this nice freshly picked bag of peppers about 2 months ago.

I just found out this afternoon that the bag was taken home and has been sitting there ever since! Untouched. I am just so f***ing pissed right now.

I give away a lot of peppers, (A LOT OF PEPPERS), and I dont mind doing so if it gets used. I know I could have given those peppers to someone who would have eaten them. Or I could have made powder out of them. anything other than letting them rot.

And then there's the so called freeloaders too. You take pounds of peppers into work or elsewhere and they go like popcorn at the theater. mention $$$ to help offset growing expenses and all of a sudden no one wants hot peppers.

After this year, I think I am done with that. I'll sell them plants and they can work for their pods.
I don't think people realize how much work goes into growing these finicky things...to them it's just a bag of peppers. To us, it's months and months of work and passion down the drain. It's a shame to hear about pepper wastage! Good on you for being a generous guy though

I used to take about 2 grocery sacks a week to people at work so people could take what they want.  I quit doing that after last year.  Now I selectively take some to the few who appreciate it, those that never thanked and I feel never probably did anything with them after taking them don't get any anymore.  The one that pissed me off the most, was this one guy, who between plants/seeds and pods had probably given him $500+ in value over the last 10 - 12 years.  Then last year my son's archery team was selling raffle tickets to raise some money, I went to his desk and told him here, $5 for 6 chances to win a 50/50 probably $500+ if he won.  He looked at me and said I don't do raffles.  I was so mad, I just walked away without saying a word.  Needless to say he will never see another seed, pod, or plant from me ever again as I don't do thankless freeloaders anymore.

jcw10tc said:
I used to take about 2 grocery sacks a week to people at work so people could take what they want.  I quit doing that after last year.  Now I selectively take some to the few who appreciate it, those that never thanked and I feel never probably did anything with them after taking them don't get any anymore.  The one that pissed me off the most, was this one guy, who between plants/seeds and pods had probably given him $500+ in value over the last 10 - 12 years.  Then last year my son's archery team was selling raffle tickets to raise some money, I went to his desk and told him here, $5 for 6 chances to win a 50/50 probably $500+ if he won.  He looked at me and said I don't do raffles.  I was so mad, I just walked away without saying a word.  Needless to say he will never see another seed, pod, or plant from me ever again as I don't do thankless freeloaders anymore.

I hear ya , my friend . I work with a few idiots just like that ! 

considering how exotic and painful these things are... IMHO you would be better off gifting them to folks on THP for just the shipping cost of those flat rate boxes?  thats what i did.

the beauty of the flat rate box is how little work is involved on your part. you can even have the person you are giving them to, pay the postage and send you the shipping label to print out. you can even drop those little VHS sized boxes right into the big blue post office boxes.

i had ONE surplus season when i grew like 12 plants( way way to many). i had to give them away in those... VHS tape sized boxes because they were inedibly hot.

ill only grow a one or maby 2 hotish pepper plants at this point. im just too irish. the heat is intolerable. i ate ONE SINGLE tiny fresh tobasco pepper once and it felt like i was shitting hot paint thinner.

i also traded seeds and stuff with the extra pods if i remember right... basically i mail you the box and you mail back the seeds.

i gave away some plants i had one year to this guy on the forum who lived north of me.

just saying... the PM's i got seemed pretty appreciative. one guy sent me a youtube video of the pods and eating one of them. i doubt any of them went to waste.

queequeg152 said:
i ate ONE SINGLE tiny fresh tobasco pepper once and it felt like i was shitting hot paint thinner

In college we painted our bodies for a football game or something (lots of booze was involved). When I got home later I decided that paint thinner was the best way to get paint off my body. It was not, and hurt like hell. But because of that I can imagine what shitting hot paint thinner would feel like and this made me laugh my ass off!

austin87 said:

In college we painted our bodies for a football game or something (lots of booze was involved). When I got home later I decided that paint thinner was the best way to get paint off my body. It was not, and hurt like hell. But because of that I can imagine what shitting hot paint thinner would feel like and this made me laugh my ass off!
yea i had a similar experiance staining a beer pong table without gloves way back.

it really sucked, but its better to learn these things when you are young and you can heal in an hour lol.

Sounds like laziness to me....

They like the heat....but are too lazy to process the raw materials for long-term storage.

...I bet they never make their bed or flush their toilet either.

i give most my surplus away too.

my wife brings veggies and preserves to her school and lays them out on a table in the break room. today its onion tops and satsumas.

also today i am bringing a friend of mine, satsuma's, pint of fig preserve , half pint of pepper jelly, onion tops and a deer roast (last years kill, but he is good with that).

to me its in the spirit of giving.

and yes, some peeps dont have a clue on what it takes and cost to garden.

i fish and hunt alot, peeps always wanting fish and game...sure i say, you gunna come get that pig from the woods and dress it out?...you gunna clean that fish?   100% of the time its...   thats ok thanks anyway

I quit giving away for the most part. I cant tell you how many times I have sent a friend or family member a box of peppers to only find they never got "around" to even try a pepper. Dude, you just begged for some and I ate shipping atleast eat a pepper.

Well, I got a good night's sleep and I'm getting ready to hit the woods. I am still burning about it. At least after reading these I know it not just me and SOMEHOW that makes me feel a littLe less raw.
I also spend a huge amount of time and efort during deer season to put venison on the table and I also share with a few. So far, fortunately, those few are appreciative.

It seems to me that chileheads are, by and large, a generous bunch, especially the folks on this forum. Willing to share and give the products of their labor and only ask for an appreciative thank you in return. I had a similar rant recently after I spent time and money sending out fresh pods and seeds to a person I thought would be grateful. Didn't hear anything and so I checked and got an "oh yeah, I got em."

I will still send out seeds, won't ask for a SASBE, but just pay the postage myself, because it makes me feel good. A simple thanks is all I ask.

I once gave a friend a couple of surplus plants one year. When I asked how they were doing a month later, he says "oh, they died when I went on holidays" (An Australian summer without water will do that apparently   :censored: )

SR.

Some of the plants I have given away are still alive. I ran into someone who had a couple of them. He is growing indoors and he hasn't gotten any actual peppers yet, so I suggested that he should look into how to do hardening and be ready to move them outside in the spring.

One person I gave plants to told me that every single one of them died. It is really surprising to me how this could happen, because I have so little luck keeping plants alive and I don't seem to be having that problem. The potting soil - from Miracle Grow - said that it helps with both over and under watering.

When someone gives me something, I tend to appreciate it. It comes from not having much, myself, and knowing the costs involved in sharing. Some people really just don't know or care.

Unfortunately this has become more of the norm in our society - a lack of consideration and a lack of manners. How many times have you held a door open for someone only to be treated as if you are a doorman, ignored with not even a thank you? I'd wager it's not an uncommon occurrence. To keep my own frustrations with people to a minimum, I share with with those that show a measure of enthusiasm and receptiveness.

I'm learning not very quickly, to only share plants with friends. But when you have way too many, you tend to want them out of your reach. Same with garden produce. A little thank you goes a long way and memories of the people with continual hands out, stay with me.

Most of the people on THP are generous to a fault. Some not. "Reciprocity" should be in everyone's vocabulary. My rant that could go on ad infinitum.

Back