• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment Raspberry Chipotle Salsa

As I mentioned over in the awards area, I've been visiting the award winners and doing some shopping. So, the first order arrived from Robert Rothschild Farms today. I first have to say I'm thoroughly impressed at delivery speed. I placed the order Sunday and it arrived already today...just two days, and that was standard delivery.

So, the first goodie I cracked open was the Raspberry Chipotle Salsa. I might already be addicted, considering my tongue is on fire and I still can't stop eating it! It's quite different from what I expected from a salsa. It has chunks of the berries and other stuff, but the base is more of a thick puree. It's wonderful for sticking to my chips as I dip them in.

As for the flavor, I love the balance of flavors. The smoky chipotle is surprisingly complementary to the sweetness of the raspberries, like a sweet bbq sauce for chip dipping...I'm actually contemplating using it as a bbq sauce too, and I usually don't like sweet bbq sauces. As for the heat, it builds and sneaks up on you. The first bite just left a little hit of heat all the way to the back of my tongue. That works its way to the tip of the tongue in no time. But even as the heat envelopes my tongue, the other flavors are pronounced enough that they come through refreshingly cool in each new bite. The heat doesn't linger too long. As I'm typing this, my mouth has cooled down already, and nibbling more slowly allows me to savor each bite and not start breathing fire.

Suggested pairing: Harp lager (only because that's what I'm currently drinking and it's going well together).

Oh, and disclaimer, since I know people here do real reviewing...I'm in no way a professional reviewer, I just know what I like and am not bashful about praising things that stand out to me as uniquely good, or lambasting things I think are horrid.

Back