• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Rats eating my corn

Grass Snake said:
drowning sounds so messed up lol
Glue traps are messy

Shooting is messy

Live traps...where the live animal caught in the cage must be dispatched....aka...killed....

Is messy!

We went into a job where the owner had a bad mouse problem. Into the basement and the glue trap had 3 mice on it. One was still wiggling.

Killing in any form of any thing is messy. Pick your ",poison" and make peace with it.

OH!!!! Edmick!!!
Have you tried a piper? I 'hear' it worked in the middle ages.
:shrug:

salsalady said:
Glue traps are messy

Shooting is messy

Live traps...where the live animal caught in the cage must be dispatched....aka...killed....

Is messy!

We went into a job where the owner had a bad mouse problem. Into the basement and the glue trap had 3 mice on it. One was still wiggling.

Killing in any form of any thing is messy.
I hunt birds regularly with a 12 gauge and have to dispatch birds all the time that aren't clean kills. Ideally, it would be a clean kill but it doesn't always work out that way. I've caught mice in glue traps where they say to just throw the traps away... Thats inhumane to me. I always dispatch them. Either shoot them in the head or handle it with a hammer. Not something I find fun though. As a hunter, I always hope for a clean kill to minimize the suffering of the animal. I know I talk a lot of shit but I hope any rats I kill (and I hope there are many) that they don't suffer. Theres no pride in that but ya gotta protect the crops that put food on the table.

No luck with the stairway to heaven trap last night. Fuckin sneaky little shits managed to steal some of the grain off it though.

Gonna go to the store and get some ammonia I guess. Soak some old socks in it and hang them around.

Muckyai said:
I had envisioned Edmick sleeping in an old rocking chair hugging a pellet gun out in his corn patch last night.
Funny cuz thats exactly what I was doing. No rocking chair though. Stayed up til 1 a.m. listening to those bastards scurry in and out of the plants. Too dark to see any of them though. Had ol trusty in one hand and a beer in the other. Got a little drunk lol

Attachments

• 20180330_161535.jpg
    20180330_161535.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 106
Edmick said:
Funny cuz thats exactly what I was doing. No rocking chair though. Stayed up til 1 a.m. listening to those bastards scurry in and out of the plants. Too dark to see any of them though. Had ol trusty in one hand and a beer in the other. Got a little drunk lol
Set up a spotlight with a red filter over it. Most nocturnal pests aren’t scared away or bothered by red light. Also, more pellet gun may be required.

Went to the store and got some ammonia and poison trap. Hopefully this will work.

Attachments

• 20180708_155842.jpg
    20180708_155842.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 101
it's pretty hard to tell with all the existing damage on the plants but i THINK the ammonia soaked socks helped. I'll have to go through and remove all the damaged ones to be sure though

Well I thought the ammonia was working after the first night cuz I didnt really notice any new damage the next day but it appears it didn't bother them last night cuz theres a ton of new damage today. They've probably wiped out 75 percent now. Kinda accepted that the corn is going to be a total loss but I'm scrambling to figure out a solution to keep them from moving on to the rest of my garden after the corn is finished off. Went and got some glue traps and gonna set a couple snap traps with peanut butter too and hope I can at least kill some. No sign of them eating any of the poison either. Starting to get really frustrated. This was shaping up to be the best gardening year I've ever had and I get hit with this lol. No bueno

Get a block of bars of the Irish Spring original fragrance soap and take a cheese grater and make it into flakes and spread it around the garden or areas that you don’t want them to be in. I have used this stuff for years to keep the deer out of the garden and the mice out of the cars. They navigate somewhat by smell and the soap will screw that up for them and they will generally stay away from it.

skullbiker said:
Get a block of bars of the Irish Spring original fragrance soap and take a cheese grater and make it into flakes and spread it around the garden or areas that you dont want them to be in. I have used this stuff for years to keep the deer out of the garden and the mice out of the cars. They navigate somewhat by smell and the soap will screw that up for them and they will generally stay away from it.
I'm going to try that next. That's my bar soap of choice so I have a bunch of it. I just put out a ton of traps tonight so I'll see if I can snuff some first before I try that.

Back