• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Re-growing green onions

Bought a green onion from the store for a meal, hacked it up, and noticed the white part had roots. Threw it in some soil, added water, and the damn thing regrew itself in no time.

Anybody else grow these things? I probably only use them for food once every couple months, so this'll save me a few cents a year. Can you keep cutting them and having them regrow? Do they need any ferts eventually, or are they of the "add water and ignore" variety of plant?

i have hundreds of them, the only ones i care for are those in my vegetable gardens. my bulbs vary in age but i am guessing several years old on average - i never purchase new ones. i just leave them in my front yard flower garden over winter, then dig them up in spring and replant them as i pick through the bad/dead ones. anytime i see a bald patch in the garden, i relocate the ones from the front bed. they hate drought and hail. i have chives and shallots as well. the only fertilizer they get is my seaweed tea that i always have a batch brewing. partial shade helps in keeping the green stems from getting roasted in the midday hot sun.

enjoy your onions.

I do it all the time and BC gave you the deal on keeping them. I love my garlic chives and have had them in the garden for about 5 years. Each year they come back with awesome flowers and fresh young chives.

i have hundreds of them
How do they spread? A quick googling seems to imply that in their second year they become unpleasant to eat and put out flowers, so I'd imagine 'free-range' green onions would be pretty inedible. Can you root cuttings for more, or do I have the wrong idea?

How do they spread? A quick googling seems to imply that in their second year they become unpleasant to eat and put out flowers, so I'd imagine 'free-range' green onions would be pretty inedible. Can you root cuttings for more, or do I have the wrong idea?
Like most bulbs they form baby bulbs. Yes the ones with flowers become woodsy but you can cut them back and watch all new growth.

I do it all the time and BC gave you the deal on keeping them. I love my garlic chives and have had them in the garden for about 5 years. Each year they come back with awesome flowers and fresh young chives.
+1 on that... I grow Garlic Chives and Scallions every year so I always have them on hand. The real trick to Scallions up here in New England is to plant seed in the spring and let them overwinter in the ground. They're always the first thing up in the spring, and they get much larger than they would if only grown for one season. A hardy variety like Evergreen is recommended.

IMHO yes... I don't notice any difference in the taste between 1st year and 2nd year Scallions. The flower stalks will get quite tough, but the leaves will stay tender. I pinch off the flowers and let the Scallions continue to grow... eventually, they divide and the woody flower stalk dries up and dies. No problems...

my onions never flower, the green stems shrivel and brown before that happens, the original seed were multiplier onions and over the years i just kept breaking up the bulbs and sticking them back into the ground. i have noticed no flavour degrade in the bulbs. in the spring, i pull up the bulbs and keep the hard bulbs, soft bulbs get tossed. i have soooo many of them, i have a bucket that i threw all the overflow bulbs into.

i bought my shallots on clearance in a grocery store and just popped them into the ground, they were beautiful.... 99 cents well spent......... then the hail took them out.

my chives do flower and yes the flower stem gets hard if allowed to flower, i usually pinch the flower off leaving the odd one for the pretty purple flower. i just tossed a whole root ball of chives into the composter, that batch had to be 15 years old and they came from original batch that is still alive and they were here when i moved into this house 20+ years ago - i built my greenhouse around the chives and i am busy putting in a cement heat sink floor to see if i can improve nightly temperatures and the chives were in the way........ now to continue my google search on pouring a greenhouse cement floor.

Back