• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Re potting question

Hello!!! I have some Red Savinas and Bhut Jolokias on a 1 gallon pots, there less then a foot tall, when will it be a good idea to re pot on a 5 gallon plastic pot? I'm planing on living them on the 5 gallon pot for overwintering, hopefully they will yield fruit this year, but want to know when to re pot so it wont affect the fruiting process, etc.. Thank you

IMO in order to not disturb the root ball, it is easier to wait until you see roots trying to grow out of the bottom of the container...whether it is from the seed starting tray or a 3" container, or a 1 gallon container...I skip the one gallon and transplant straight from a 3" container to 5 gallon container and that is where they stay for the rest of the season...if you are very careful, you may be able to get all the soil out of the 1 gallon without disturbing the roots and successfully transplant to 5 gallon, but you will have to be careful not to disturb the roots...

First Marito, are your plants fruiting now?

AJ, in my experience, which is very limited, breaking the soil away from the rootball while repoting has worked best for me.
Is there a reason you say not to disturb the rootball?

Back