• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ready for outside but worried about problems

I was successful at growing the plants inside and they are ready to go out. I am quite worried about spider mites, aphids, animals, hail, neighbours spraying pesticides on windy days and tobacco mosiac. My mom smokes outside so I'm wondering about the plants. How common is Tobacco Mosiac, and how easy can a plant get it? Also if a plant does get it how does it transmit between plants?

quit worrying about your plants...put them outside and treat what goes wrong with them...once they are outside, the critters attacking the plants are available for a myriad of predators to eat...

I put mine outside and tell them, sink or swim...

I am a smoker and am not very careful with my plants...I just posted on another thread that I am probably tempting fate, but if it is going to happen, I will deal with it when it does...

chillilover,

Plants have been growing outside for centuries and they survive aphids, animals, hail, smoke, etc. Don't worry about - it's watering, keeping weeds out, fertilizing that you need to focus on.

Mike

I never worry about mites, aphids, or thrips once the plants get outside and are exposed to natural predators but I do have to worry quite a bit about deer, and other critters. Your other concerns you will just have to deal with, but definitely don't be in a hurry to put your plants in the ground early.

i was worried too but now they look so happy in the dirt :) only thing is that some leaves look like birds were eating them, but thats not a big deal i think.

chillilover said:
I am quite worried about spider mites, aphids, animals, hail, neighbours spraying pesticides on windy days and tobacco mosiac. My mom smokes outside so I'm wondering about the plants.

You forgot to mention men of low character.

Certainly you must be about those too!

Tobacco mosaic can't be transmitted by the smoke, no matter what anyone tells you. Handling raw tobacco, cigarettes, or any other form of tobacco and then touching your plants isn't a good idea, but the smoke won't carry the virus.

I too had a hard time letting my babies out of the nest, as this was my first year planting from seed. As long as you're not getting drowning rain, put them outside, but don't forget to harden them off. Mine have been loving their new homes outdoors, and their growth has really picked up nicely. Have no fear. They're plants... they belong outside!

I also think sink or swim once they are outside. Last year the only problem I had was a pesky neighbor who had sticky fingers. Well, I solved that problem this year...LOL...I put all of my super hots in the bed that she was stealing from. Let her steal this year and justice will be mine.

Your pristine looking plants that have been raised in near perfect conditions indoors will probably get a little ugly after going outside, leaves will lighten, crack and get rougher and crisper and holes might appear. You might lose a few small stems due to wind and rain but other than that they should do just fine.

Outdoors is better for them anyway.

If you want "specimen" type plants that look like they should be in a magazine forget about growing outdoors. For example, my specimen Jamaican Hot Chocolate, after 5 days on the outside, had virtually all of its leaves shredded by hail. The plant went from looking like a supermodel to a crack whore. 45mph winds ripped off more than a few leaves from some other plants and cracked a serrano and a prize fatalii at the base, done. Other than the plants that were outright killed by the elements (only a few), the others that suffered some superfical damage have rebounded very nicely. The Jamican hot choc that had most of its leaves shredded may actually turn out to be one of my nicest plants! You cannot control all of the variables that the outside brings, yet peppers are very resilient and will generally find a way to thrive!

FiveStar said:
Tobacco mosaic can't be transmitted by the smoke, no matter what anyone tells you. Handling raw tobacco, cigarettes, or any other form of tobacco and then touching your plants isn't a good idea, but the smoke won't carry the virus.

FWIW, we raised tomato plants in the same bed as tobacco plants, used the same transplanter to put them in the ground (next to each other) and the same plows to cultivate the ground.

Mike

Yeah they can get ugly outdoors, but as long as they're big enough to survive the leaf damage that's bound to happen (usually), they'll be fine. No substitute for direct sunlight they're gonna get after they're hardened.

I think we're all a little apprehensive when we first take the plants we've been taking such great care of outside and out of our control. It's normal.

The bottom line is they're plants and they really do belong outside. Best of luck to you Chillilover.

wordwiz said:
FWIW, we raised tomato plants in the same bed as tobacco plants, used the same transplanter to put them in the ground (next to each other) and the same plows to cultivate the ground.

Mike

This is all fine and good, as long as neither your tomatoes, nor your tobacco have TMV. All it takes is one plant though, and everything your transplanter has touched may be at risk. Chances are, you'd notice a plant with TMV, and probably choose not to plant it out.

Considering your location up North, you've got to bite the bullet and quit worrying. Everything will work out and the whole point is to get pods, I think.

All of us worry about losing a few, it's going to happen....

Back