• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Reaper Madness Sauce

Im not sure if this name has been taken. I promise, Im not selling it, if it is.

Okay. So, while cleaning out the nether regions of the cupboard, I happened upon the fermented Reapers I started about a year ago. The pH was good, no contamination. And the taste was amazing. I fermented about 50 pods as well as some onions, garlic and shallots, in addition to cranberries. Needless to say, any cranberry taste got swallowed whole. What was amazing, is how sweet the purée was after a bit of liquefying with a little apple cider vinegar.

But... I also wanted some fresh Reaper flavor and I wanted to see just how much pain I could coax out of one sauce. So, into the blender went another 25 or so frozen Reapers. Things got immediately much hotter.

Time to push the envelope. I have a friend who does freeze drying. I gave him a batch of Reapers to do just that. So, into the mix went ten powdered Reaper pods. My logic was that they would reconstitute on the sauce, adding viscosity.

Flavor wise, you can imagine the heat. But, it still started out very sweet. But, there was a level of bitterness at the end. So, after asking around, one of my friends suggested adding just a bit of mustard. And, bit by bit, I incorporated some brown mustard, yellow mustard and powdered mustard seed. And this indeed took most of the bitterness out. I wanted just a touch more sweetness, so I decided to make a Reaper Peach simple syrup, and again, slowly added that again, bit by bit until there was a bit more sweetness.

I gathered up a few friends at a brewery as guinea pigs. All agreed it was stupid hot. But, the combination of ingredients does showcase the Reaper. Theres flavor... that is, until a few moments later. Then, theres blistering pain.

I will try some sort of sauce or chutney even.

If I get a crop.   :cool:

Grilled Cheddar cheese on toast with 2k scovil chutney.  Yum.

What's your method and recipe.

Thanks 

DeschetAlpha said:
I wanted just a touch more sweetness, so I decided to make a Reaper Peach simple syrup, and again, slowly added that again

LOLLLLLLL I love how you wanted it sweeter so made a reaper sugar to add to it and wanted it thicker so had reapers freeze dried. This is too funny. I'm surprised the mustard you added wasn't reaper mustard lol! Nice!

Good story, thanks for sharing.

Back