• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Reaper X NuMex Twilight

Last season I attempted a few crosses - one of them was the one that I was really hoping would work out where I used a Reaper flower and added pollen of a NuMex Twilight flower.

The pod set, although it ended up being about 1/4 size of a normal reaper and only had 1 seed in it (and another part of a seed which seemed pretty deformed):
2015_03_27_18_02_03.jpg

This seed was started at the same time as I started my other plants for this upcoming season - took nearly a month, I actually gave up and figured it was a dud since annuum X chinense are only partially fertile. But just this morning I noticed it popped through, so I put it straight into one of the pots along with the rest of the seedlings.

Hopefully it'll survive and I'll have plenty of F2 seeds. Ideally I'm hoping for a reaper-shaped/tasting pod that ripen with NuMex twilight colours. As unlikely as it is, would be pretty cool. (not sure why this particular jiffy was so wet compare to the others, lucky the seed didnt end up rotting).

2015_07_25_13_57_12.jpg

2015_07_25_13_58_00.jpg

Thinking about this cross - since the female contributor was a chinense and a male contributor is an annuum, is there a standard formula where you can work out whether the result is going to be a chinense or an annuum?

Has anyone looked at this before, trying to map out cross results? I came across a reference to a chinense X annuum here http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33677-cannum-vs-cchinense/ and it looks like it has a single flower/pod per node which means it definitely isn't a chinense (I think?).

Would be interesting to run an experiment on this with a bunch of crosses and plot the results to see whether there is any logic to this.

That is a neat cross.  I am growing the two and both are excellent peppers.  With the cross, it would be nice to get a Twilight yield as mine are very plentiful.  Maybe even an upwards facing reaper?

obchili said:
That is a neat cross.  I am growing the two and both are excellent peppers.  With the cross, it would be nice to get a Twilight yield as mine are very plentiful.  Maybe even an upwards facing reaper?
Haha yeah I was thinking if it turned out to be an upwards facing reaper, with numex twilight colours. That would be legendary.

I'll be planting every single F2 seed I get to get as many variants as possible. Hopefully at least a couple of F2 plants will have the traits I'm after.

Just found this research article on Chinense / Annuum crosses (and baccattum).

looks like they only got 6.25% germination rate from this particular cross (on page 2) but no plants survived. I wonder what are the odds of me getting one seed which then germinated AND then having that plant survive.. pretty unlikely. But will be hoping.

The seedling is doing well btw, just started growing it's first set of true leaves.

000.png

001.png

Back