• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Reaper?

A few years ago, before I knew any better, I bought some reaper seeds from Bakers.  Never one to waste seeds, I grew them out this year and was wondering if you guys thought these were true. At the very least, the seeds I bought seem to be unstable.  The first pod looks reaperish, the second bhut-ish.  Same plant.

What do you think?

20208114813_c40b400821_k.jpg

This one looks Bhut-like

20206478094_912b119873_k.jpg

Could be the real deal, especially if these are your first pods this season off this plant. Ive had a few start and end of season pods that looked like your 2nd ones while the majority grew pretty true.

The first one's tail isnt as sharp as you'd expect but again if these are your first pods on this plant then this is pretty normal.

Thanks for the input. Regarding the tail of pic #1, it is the sharpest of the pods the plant has put out.

The other pods have tails, but they're blunter and the pods look kind of like Butch T's. In addition, they're kind of small for the Reapers I've seen, about the size of a quarter.

Once pods begin to ripen, I will post more pics. For this grow season, the Bakers plant has struggled the most, but that could just be due to my own grow skills, age of seeds, etc.

Pods ripened.  Very small.  The plants had flowers the size of tepin flowers.  I'm thinking these are not Reapers, especially given the seed source.  Can anyone ID?

21581308365_e584ade8a9_k.jpg

It's hard to tell a real reaper on the first wave of the peppers from the plant based on my 2 years of growing them.  You can get a bunch of pods that look exactly like what you posted, then get some of the most typical looking reaper traits on the subsequent waves of peppers.  Even the first, funky looking pods have the same reaper heat though.  Eat one of those little ones to see what it's like.  If it burns like a reaper, and tastes like a reaper, chances are, it is a reaper.  If it doesn't end up having true pods, and you want to give the reaper another chance, drop me a PM.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
It's hard to tell a real reaper on the first wave of the peppers from the plant based on my 2 years of growing them.  You can get a bunch of pods that look exactly like what you posted, then get some of the most typical looking reaper traits on the subsequent waves of peppers.  Even the first, funky looking pods have the same reaper heat though.  Eat one of those little ones to see what it's like.  If it burns like a reaper, and tastes like a reaper, chances are, it is a reaper.  If it doesn't end up having true pods, and you want to give the reaper another chance, drop me a PM.
Took a bite off one of the tails and it was delicious - sweet and fruity as described.

Sliced the rest and ate it with some pasta. Heat wasn't too bad, but then again I didn't eat whole pod straight up.

Aside from funky looks, I was under the impression reapers were larger than the pods i posted. Has that been your experience?

FYI, I figured the seeds might grow fugazi, so i bought some directly from PB for next year when I visited their table at NYC hot sauce expo, but thanks for offer.

My initial Reaper pods from this winter season indoors were small, and looked nothing like a reaper.  They had the same taste and burn as a normal Reaper though.  After being trasnplanted outside in good soil this summer, the same Reaper plants put off some great pods, which were much bigger.

Attachments

• 20150305_121934.jpg
    20150305_121934.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150731_184018.jpg
    20150731_184018.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 36
Back