• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Recieved Red 7 Pod/Pot & Trinidad Scorpion seeds today

I recieved some Trinidad Scorpion and Red 7 Pod/Pot seeds today in the mail from one of yall. I dont know if it considered good or bad form to give up who gave them to me, you know who you are. I thank you.

I want to start them indoors tomorrow. Is there any information yall would lke to share with me to help me be successful with these seeds? Growing habits and what not? Any information yall can give me would be appreciated.

A mentor program from some of yall old timers would be a neat addition to this forum.

Another one of yall are sending good seeds too. I am eggcited about my seeds.

Peace, Love, and all thats Good-El Pirata Pepper :onfire:

I really dont think anyone would be angry about being generous JMO
a good medium is very important start in my experience.

Noshownate said:
I really dont think anyone would be angry about being generous JMO
a good medium is very important start in my experience.

Is there a specific medium I should buy? I will be going shopping tomorrow. I only get to town about every 6 weeks or so. Heck, I rarely leave my property anymore other than to do tractor work in my neighbor hood when I feel like it.

Just make sure you get Seed Starting Mix. Pro-mix is one of the best, some like Jiffy Mix. Pro-mix is also more expensive. I used Jiffy Mix and it works ok and will be trying Pro-mix this year. I used Miracle Grow last year and did not like it at all. It is more expensive than the Jiffy Mix and just is not worth the money. Jiffy Mix is widely available at lowes, home depot, walmart, etc. You will probably have to go to a nursery to get Pro-Mix.

I recommend getting the plastic divided trays to start the seeds. Jiffy also sells the 72 cell greenhouse and it works good. The pellets are easy to start, but can be difficult to remove the netting to pot up. I do not recommend using the peat pots at all. They suck the moisture out of the soil and the roots do not easily go through the sides. Used them one time several years ago, never again.

Good Luck!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
Just make sure you get Seed Starting Mix. Pro-mix is one of the best, some like Jiffy Mix. Pro-mix is also more expensive. I used Jiffy Mix and it works ok and will be trying Pro-mix this year. I used Miracle Grow last year and did not like it at all. It is more expensive than the Jiffy Mix and just is not worth the money. Jiffy Mix is widely available at lowes, home depot, walmart, etc. You will probably have to go to a nursery to get Pro-Mix.

I recommend getting the plastic divided trays to start the seeds. Jiffy also sells the 72 cell greenhouse and it works good. The pellets are easy to start, but can be difficult to remove the netting to pot up. I do not recommend using the peat pots at all. They suck the moisture out of the soil and the roots do not easily go through the sides. Used them one time several years ago, never again.

Good Luck!
jacob

Thank You, in short, no peat pots, yes to seed starting mix. I figured out a neat way to keep my soil tempatures at the tempature that I need. I have an old oil heater that I can put my starting tray on and monitor the temps.

What about water? I suppose a spray bottle would be ideal? Keep the seed starting mix moist?

I use a water bottle to mist the soil if the soil dries out before the seeds sprout. Sometimes I don't have to, just depends on how long it takes to sprout. Once the seeds sprout, I bottom water by setting the trays in water to allow the soil to soad up some water. It is better not to wet the surface or the seedlings as this can cause damping off disease.

jacob

The closest thing you will find locally in Houston that is close to Pro-mix is one of the Sunshine soils at some nurseries. There is one place within 100 miles of Houston that carries Pro-mix, and they are in Rosenberg.

rds040800 said:
The closest thing you will find locally in Houston that is close to Pro-mix is one of the Sunshine soils at some nurseries. There is one place within 100 miles of Houston that carries Pro-mix, and they are in Rosenberg.

I was wondering what happened to you. Thanks for filling me in on Pro-Mix. Whatcha growing this year?

jjs7741 said:

Good Luck!
jacob
I use peat pots once the roots grow out the sides of the pellets. I find its easy to remove the mesh. It's even perforated to help. I take them out of the peat pot before planting them in the final pot though.

I tried Jiffy Mix Seed Starter Mix last year and only a few seeds sprouted in it. I had to re-plant everything I had in Pro Mix and it put me real late getting my plants in the ground.

I usually use Pro Mix but Home Depot had the Jiffy Mix on sale so I decided to try it. But, it just didn't work out for me.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back