• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Recipe suggestions

HellfireFarm

eXtreme Business
I'm making a sauce based on roasted Anaheims & Poblanos. Last time i made a sauce like this I used tomatillos and vinegar (and don't remember what if anything else).
I don't want a recipe, I like making up my own - so just looking for some ideas of what to put in it.

Fresh squeezed lemon juice pairs very well with tomatillos and roasted ingredients vs. lime juice imo.

Also I'm not a huge garlic fan in sauces but in a sauce like this, it's imperative. You might want to play around with a 50/50 mix of fresh and roasted garlic. I like the qualities of both and found when you mix them, you really do get the best of both worlds.

🍻

We have done one in the hot sauce class called Whirled Peas. Roasted green chiles ( jalapeno), dry grilled to blacken in a ci pan garlic and onion slices, roasted/broiled tomatillo, and frozen peas! Vinegar, apple juice for acidity and sweet. Cilantro,salt, black pepper, cumin.

The peas add bulk so you can get a large batch medium heat sauce. This was very well received by the class attendees. I can post the sauce recipe if you want.....i know you said you didnt want recipes, its just a starting point.
Canned pineapple would also be good.

Pics and stuff here

We used tamari, which is a major allergen alert. So if you dont want to deal with that, maybe Braggs amino acid? I havent worked with braggs, just know it is an option. We used Wheat-free Tamari.

The peas add bulk so you can get a large batch medium heat sauce.
That's cool. I'd also say an unripe tomato (green) could do this without imparting too much unwanted flavor. Green bell would be too strong, for example. I'll have to check out the peas.

We did a batch at a different class with frozen spinach also. To do these, a very good BlendTec or similar mixer is needed. Simmer everything well, blender the snot out of the cooked sauce. Or use a fine food sieve. The pea flavor doesnt come thru if there are chiles, cumin, cilantro, apple juice, blackened/roasted items.

NOTE! This recipe is not PA reviewed! We did onsite pH testing, all were told to refrigerate after opening.

Over all the classes, we did a lot of off-the-wall sauces including Rocketman's pumpkin sauce. (which was also very well received and done a few times) and a Bufalo sauce with coffee.

OMG, what have you all become...pees and spinach??? seriously? peppers, vinegar, and salt...keep it pure like water, yeast, hops and grain. The gods of craft will not be smiling on you today.

no cheers for you,

cheers, but not cheers..

Back