• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Recipes using Balsamic Vinegar

The wife is on a Balsamic Vinegar kick. I've searched on line and found some really nice sounding recipes for pork chop and lot of things. But then she told me wanted several things that restaurants around here make or made.

From Jason's Deli she wants their Balsamic Vinegar salad dressing. Then Johnny Carino's used to make Salmon with a Balsamic Vinegar ( & some kind of booze , I think ) glaze. Any ideas out there ?

Thanks and Peace,
P. Dreadie

If you are talking about the Cedar Plank Salmon with Citrus Balsamic Glaze you can try a basic citrus glaze recipe with equal parts balsamic vinegar and white wine or vermouth (about 1/3 c ea for 2 portions) and then a T ea of lemon juice and brown sugar and a shot of cracked pepper. Bring it to a boil and drop it to a simmer to reduce/thicken for a couple minutes then baste the fish with it when it is on the grill and use a separated T or so to finish off with.

It probably isnt exact, but you can give it a try and then adjust for taste. Hope this helps a bit!

The wife is on a Balsamic Vinegar kick. I've searched on line and found some really nice sounding recipes for pork chop and lot of things. But then she told me wanted several things that restaurants around here make or made.

From Jason's Deli she wants their Balsamic Vinegar salad dressing. Then Johnny Carino's used to make Salmon with a Balsamic Vinegar ( & some kind of booze , I think ) glaze. Any ideas out there ?

Thanks and Peace,
P. Dreadie

A good basic balsamic vinegar salad dressing -

2 parts evo
1 part balsamic vinegar
garlic salt to taste
onion powder to taste

of course if the salad has diced onions, skip the onion powder. You can do minced garlic and salt instead of the garlic salt. Try adding brown sugar, crushed frozen raspberries, celery seed, pepper, or minced shallot. Very easy recipe to tinker with.

I imagine for salmon recipe it would be a balsamic/Guinness beer reduction. Sounds like a little red wine might brighten that up. My buddy makes something similar which is basic dales marinade, teriyaki, and a splash of balsamic vinegar reduced on a low simmer for about 20 minutes and then slathered on a salmon filet, skin side down on a cedar plank and grilled.

I made this asparagus recipe last night, and it is one of my favorites -

bundle of asparagus (rinsed, tough ends cut off)
2-3 tablespoons of butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of chives, green onion, or white onion, minced
2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
Parmesan cheese
fresh cracked pepper
fresh crushed salt
crushed pepper flakes
pecans, walnuts, or almonds to taste (optional)

In a large saucepan melt butter on low heat. Once fully melted add in garlic, chives/green/regular white onion and bring to a low sweat for 5 minutes. Turn heat up to medium, toss in nuts (if using them) and stir. Toss in the asparagus and stir to coat it with the butter thoroughly. Season with pepper, salt and crushed pepper to taste. Cook on medium until desired tenderness is reached, stirring and tossing around every so often to avoid burning. Once cooked, toss balsamic vinegar into the pan, turn off and remove from heat and stir. Cover with parmesan to taste and serve.

My favorite salad:

for the salad:

baby spinach
avocado
raisins
pecans (shaved almonds are good too)
alfalfa or broccoli sprouts
goat cheese (feta, gorgonzola, or blue cheese work well too!)

for the dressing

2 parts olive oil
1 part balsamic vinegar
minced garlic
fresh lemon juice to taste (go easy on it)
pepper to taste
salt to taste

I recommend as with any dressing making it early enough to let the flavors come together. I mix mine in a bowl so that I can taste it and adjust the flavors accordingly.

Sweet and savory salad recipe

for the salad:

any kind of lettuce, but mixed greens or arugula are the best in my opinion
mandarin oranges
cut up strawberries
diced green apple
pecans
a good strong blue cheese
fresh cooked and crumbled bacon

for the dressing:

2 parts olive oil
1 part balsamic vinegar
dash of honey
tablespoon of brown sugar
celery seed or poppy seed to taste (go easy on this)
*optional* - 1 - 2 tablespoons of crushed frozen raspberries
pepper to taste
salt to taste (easy on the salt)

sorry for the inexact measurements. I eyeball everything I make. For the dressings the oil and vinegar is the base, and I mix it in a 2-1/3-1ish ratio to somewhere between a 1/3 and 1/2 cup and then add the other ingredients from there. Hope you like the recipes!

two of my favourite balsamic vinegar recipes are:
spinach salad:
spinach
cubed cheddar cheese
minched red onion(last time i used fresh chives from my garden)
water cress or oregan or cilanto(what is available)
chopped tomato
lightly cover with olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar

mixed bean salad:
can of mixed beans(chick pea, red kidney bean, black eye peas, romano bean, lima been, white kidney bean - you can buy this at most stores)
chopped celery
diced red onion
chopped pepper(red, orange or yellow - which ever we have)
lightly cover with olive oil and a splash of balsamc vinegar
(on the rare occasion i sometimes add crumbled feta cheese).

Make sure you buy real balsamic from Modena.

If it is fake the ingredients will say vinegar, grape must, caramel color, which mimics a real balsamic.

If it is real it just says vinegar (or Balsamic vinegar of Modena).

Make sure you buy real balsamic from Modena.

If it is fake the ingredients will say vinegar, grape must, caramel color, which mimics a real balsamic.

If it is real it just says vinegar (or Balsamic vinegar of Modena).

Amen boss and side by side you CAN taste the difference.

For Salmon I like to keep it simple. This can be done on the grill or in a skillet

1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (6-ounce) salmon steaks (1/2 inch thick)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; brush mixture over fish.
Grill
Coat grill rack with cooking spray and place fish on grill over medium-hot coals (350° to 400°). Grill, covered, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve immediately.
Skillet
Pre-heat skillet on medimum and then add cooking spray. give fish 2 to 3 minutes per side finishing with skin side down. Serve

I like to serve this with a mushroom risotto and Roasted Asperagus

Roasted Asperagus

Trim Fresh Asparagus
Tear off a large piece of tin foil and lay out Asparagus. Drizzle with EVOO, Sprinkle with Kosher Salt. Cut a lemon into 1/8 inch thick slices and lay them over the top. Fold foil in half and fold edges to seal. put in 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 mins and serve.

cheers,
RM

I've made this a few times forgot where I got it from

Balsamic-Marinated Lamb Chops

12 lamb rib chops, trimmed of excess fat
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
4 garlic cloves, minced
coarse sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
olive oil

To a large resealable plastic bag, add the lamb chops, vinegar, rosemary, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Seal, place on a plate to capture any leaks, and refrigerate overnight for best results.

When ready to cook, remove the chops from the bag, scraping off any garlic. You can discard the marinade but, I tend to baste a bit with it and you can cook it down as a glaze.

Brush a very hot barbecue grill or grill pan with a paper towel moistened with olive oil. Sear the lamb for 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness.

Alternatively, to a very hot skillet, add a few tablespoons olive oil. Sear the lamb 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness.

Let the lamb chops rest for at least 5 minutes covered with aluminum foil before serving. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

I've made this a few times forgot where I got it from

Balsamic-Marinated Lamb Chops

+1 for the Balsamic / Lamb / Rosemary / Garlic recipe above - I make variants of that recipe on a fairly regular basis. A nice touch is to make a habanero, balsamic and mint dressing to serve as a side dip. Lamb with mint sauce is a traditional English thang.

R :) :) ZE

Back