Recommend a Can Opener please.

I've gone through a lot of can openers. The best one was some old hand turn can opener from decades ago.

Looking for one that works easily on all sorts of cans, from standard size to large tins.

The 'easy' battery powered can openers you place on a can, press a button and watch as it rotates and opens a can never work as effectively as advertised in my experience. Especially on a can that's very large.

Halp haha. Thanks~

This guy is over 40 years old, beats every other one, love it :)

hlCHCR9.jpg

PepperZ said:
I've gone through a lot of can openers. The best one was some old hand turn can opener from decades ago.

Looking for one that works easily on all sorts of cans, from standard size to large tins.

The 'easy' battery powered can openers you place on a can, press a button and watch as it rotates and opens a can never work as effectively as advertised in my experience. Especially on a can that's very large.

Halp haha. Thanks~

How about Ebay?

We too have gone through every manner of opener, the ONLY one to last more than a couple years was a big-handled Kitchenaid, perfect torque, perfect set, perfect insertion every single time....

One day we went on a picnic at a busy walleye hatchery, brought it along for beans and corn (corn being the best bait for bluegills for the grandkids). "Someone" left the can opener on the table when we left, never saw it again...*s-s-sniff*...

So, instead of finding an OEM replacement for The Best Can Opener Ever, I ordered an OXO hand crank because the reviews were just a little better at amzon...

It works great, with one catch: While the Kitchenaid would open anything put to, the OXO will as well, as long as it's held at the right angle, approximately 30 degress off the plane of the can.

...but once ya got the sweet spot down, she's a winner!!

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-58081-SteeL-Can-Opener/dp/B00004OCMM/ref=asc_df_B00004OCMM/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138857489050&psc=1

Also what is funny, I have two of those Kitchen Aid ones, ONE is still in the packaging. LOL. They are the "older" models, was yours aqua blue? When I updated my kitchen I got the OXO.

If we ever trade gifts one day, maybe I can get you your lost friend! Haha.

The Hot Pepper said:
Also what is funny, I have two of those Kitchen Aid ones, ONE is still in the packaging. LOL. They are the "older" models, was your aqua blue? When I updated my kitchen I got the OXO.

If we ever trade gifts one day, maybe I can get you your lost friend! Haha.

Oh man, I'd love to have that one back! Ours was the older model, but black. I actually drove back to that picnic area the next day, 60 mile round trip, to see what I already knew was gone....

I can't find them so I think I gave them away :mope:

I've had a couple of large crank style openers that work good on large and small cans.  I'm not sure of the exact brand I have, I think it is the Swing-away.  I like the longer crank handle, hands are getting weak and arthritic, this style is still pretty easy to operate.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/swing-a-way-large-crank-can-opener-easy-crank/3276090.html

If you have a place to mount it, this style is pretty hardy-
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/garde-com1bst-heavy-duty-10-manual-can-opener-with-plated-steel-base/181COM1BST.html

Tybo said:
Ok I had to throw this in here.  It's called a P-38 can opener.  No electricity required.

attachicon.gif
P38.jpeg

Developed in 1942 for our troops to use opening C-rations and they work!  Yes I have used them and no I wasn't around in 1942.  I still own one today so when the new fangled can openers fail this one will get 'er done!

Edited to add the name.  

I knew of this opener but not its government designation. It's strange it is the same as the aircraft designed in the mid to late 30's.

lockheed-p-38-lightning-journeys-end-3d-model-obj-fbx-c4d-lwo-lw-lws-mtl.jpg

They used to be stuck on the cans, I remember them from the 70's, hard on the fingers.

Tybo said:
Ok I had to throw this in here.  It's called a P-38 can opener.  No electricity required.

attachicon.gif
P38.jpeg

Developed in 1942 for our troops to use opening C-rations and they work!  Yes I have used them and no I wasn't around in 1942.  I still own one today so when the new fangled can openers fail this one will get 'er done!

Edited to add the name.  

Tybo said:

attachicon.gif
P38.jpeg

Edited to add the name.  

I think my parents called this a John  Wayne.  Mom had one on her key chain.....Why?  I dunno! 

salsalady said:

I think my parents called this a John  Wayne.  Mom had one on her key chain.....Why?  I dunno! 

I used to carry one on my key chain so it was handy for camping or whatever.  After a while, the blade portion opens up in the pocket so when I would reach in to get my keys I would get jabbed by the point on the blade!  It aint there anymore.

Back