• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Recommend me a cultivar for stir frying

Hi. Right now I have a Jalapeno and Madame Jeannette plants that are now forming fruit. I also have a seed mix of 3 different colour Habaneros.

I am looking for a pepper that has strong taste besides the capsicum/heatness. Fruity, sweet, salty, true pepperish, umami, anything interesting. I don't quite like the sour flavor bell peppers have. I want to use a lot of it in my stir fry dishes which consist of vegetables and some rice or grain product with quite some coriander and other spices.

I have used generic supermarket peppers. They are supposed to be around 20,000 or 40,000 SHU. Their heat is ok for me. But I have ruined my dishes by stir frying them with seeds in oil and then adding a lot of chili powder later on, creating a dish where the burning overwhelms all the senses. That was stupid, but it means there's also a limit to the hotness as capsicum gets to cover every bit of food in the dish. That's different from using some salsa/sauce. I can stand some heat but I have never tasted the real hot peppers. No idea at what the ideal SHU for my whole dish would be.
I also will be removing the seeds so that really reduces the hotness of the whole dish. I haven't tried the Jalapeno's yet but I'd like to think they will be too mild. I think something in the range of 10,000 to 50,000 will be ideal.

The plant preferably also gets decent size meaty fruits and a good yield, of course.

Datil peppers. Thin enough to slice into small rings, medium-thick flesh holds up to stir-frying, and the natural sugars caramelize. Plus they're nice and hot.

Ok, I found out that supermarkets here carry weak cayenne's that only score 2500-5000(though another less reputible source claims 5000-15,000). So maybe the heat should be 5000-20,000. So maybe I already have the ideal pepper in the Habenero.

Datil's are Datil 125.000 - 350.000. If a significant part of my vegetables are Datil peppers how will I be able to eat them?
I can of course always use two kinds of pepper. Of course the scale is kinda logarithmic, so I donno. But it seems way too hot. Maybe good for a side dish.

Datil's are Datil 125.000 - 350.000. If a significant part of my vegetables are Datil peppers how will I be able to eat them?
I can of course always use two kinds of pepper. Of course the scale is kinda logarithmic, so I donno. But it seems way too hot. Maybe good for a side dish.
Datils are not hot to me really. But hot is good right? So you are looking for pretty tame peppers? How about poblano?

Sounds like I don't have resistance to capsicum like you have so I can enjoy it more :)

Poblano scored quite mild. If they taste really well then maybe I should try them. I can always add some hotter peppers if I have to.

I mentioned hotter. Datil. Hot and sweet. Stop looking at SHU numbers and just try some peppers ;)

You are saying the SHU's are wrong? I mean, the difference is pretty huge. One of them must be so mild you barely feel the burn. The other is one of the hottest peppers out there.

I can't just try them. I have to order the seeds online, plant them and try them. I am thinking about getting 2 or 3 more varieties.

Both good suggestions.

Bird pepper, or birdseye (same as Thai?) is great. A Thai place around here uses fresh green ones and you can get it extra spicy and they load it up.

Also aji amarillo, popular in Peruvian dishes. Check it out.

Is the Aji Amarillo C.chinese or C.baccatum? Some sites say it it chinese but most say it is baccatum.

I also found Aji Dulce but it seems too mild. But there's also the 'Aji Dulce Amarillo'. Is that a hybrid between them?

Sounds like I need to get Serrano or just straight forward cayenne's.

Sounds like I don't have resistance to capsicum like you have so I can enjoy it more :)

Poblano scored quite mild. If they taste really well then maybe I should try them. I can always add some hotter peppers if I have to.

heh. yeah... you'll get there.

i was trying to explain to my girlfriend why I didn't like using habaneros in my chicken curry dishes; the whole "habs are too sweet for the flavor i want, and they have a strong habanero taste" thing. it took a while for her to understand that peppers are not just heat, but it's also about the underlying flavor.

i've stir-fried cherry peppers for noodle dishes before and they're pretty good for that. cayennes are pretty ok too.

Why limit yourself to one chile for your stir fry?

Use one to obtain the level of heat you seek, then throw in some others like Pasilla Bajio or Aji Panca for color contrast and flavor.

Back