• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Recommendations for a new indoor grower!

I'm so glad I found this forum.

I've had an indoor garden for about a year, and grown a variety of herbs and also some sort of Thai chili. I'm very, very excited to start filling it with new chilis, especially since japalenos and serranos are about all I can buy in my area.

My setup is about a 10'x9' room with a 250w HPS light. I do also have a 450 MH, but am not currently using it. Given that I'm new (and excited) what would you pros suggest I start with? Almost anything you can recommend will be something I've never tried, and that's awesome. Growing in soil, what kind of harvests can I hope for/expect?

Lastly, any recommendations on ordering seeds? I'm in Canada if it matters. I know there is a massive thread on sources, so I'll go through that too. If anyone would be kind enough to pitch me a few seeds, I'll make sure to reciprocate when I can.

Cheers!

I am currently growing indoors in a 6' x 6' room, utilizing a 600 watt Metal Halide/HPS. I started off with several varities: Bhut Jolokia x 2, Peter Pepper, Red Caribbean, Long Red Slim and a couple others. I am growing one of the Bhut's in a Gen Hydro Waterfarm system and the other's in soil. I ended up having to discard all but the Bhuts, Red Caribbean and Long Red Slim due to the size of the plants taking over. The Red Caribbean and Peter Pepper took off and I have/had many peppers growing on the plants. My Hydroponic grown Bhut is doing fairly well too and it is producing fruit, more so than the Bhut grown in soil. My plan is to start sowing seeds on the 1st of February so I can plant out in the spring as I just don't have any more room to expand. I'll have a few seeds I can throw your way, let me check my inventory.
Growroom.jpg

First of all welcome to the forum. I'm not the man to talk to about indoor growing, but as you have seen there are heaps of people that are both helpful and wise. And most of all, the people here are extremely generous! Good luck mate :)

My personal opinions - other's Mileage May Vary!

I never had very good luck growing in soil indoors. It can be done, but it means finding the exact combo stuff that makes up your "soil" so it retains moisture but doesn't stay wet, doesn't compact, the roots have room to grow, etc. I feel much more confident growing in water.

For light-loving plants, you will need 35-40 watts of light per square foot. Plants such as lettuce require less.

I don't like HPS for anything except maybe flowering, and even then don't use them on tomatoes. They tend to make the plants more leggy, cause them to go to seed quicker (in the case of basil or lettuce) and tend to produce fewer photons of energy plants use in photosynthesis than MH or CFL. Actually, for things like lettuce and Swiss Chard, el cheapo shop lights with 6500K bulbs work a treat.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Mike

I am currently growing indoors in a 6' x 6' room, utilizing a 600 watt Metal Halide/HPS. I started off with several varities: Bhut Jolokia x 2, Peter Pepper, Red Caribbean, Long Red Slim and a couple others. I am growing one of the Bhut's in a Gen Hydro Waterfarm system and the other's in soil. I ended up having to discard all but the Bhuts, Red Caribbean and Long Red Slim due to the size of the plants taking over. The Red Caribbean and Peter Pepper took off and I have/had many peppers growing on the plants. My Hydroponic grown Bhut is doing fairly well too and it is producing fruit, more so than the Bhut grown in soil. My plan is to start sowing seeds on the 1st of February so I can plant out in the spring as I just don't have any more room to expand. I'll have a few seeds I can throw your way, let me check my inventory.
Growroom.jpg

Sounds great! Thanks a bunch!

Wordwiz-I totally agree with you about growing indoor with soil. My Bhut being grown in my hydro system is doing great. My Bhut in soil doing so so. I am leaning towards growing any and all other chilis in a hydro system.

Just a quick update: I put an order in this afternoon with Peppermania. I've got Aji Habanero, Red Habanero, Lemon Drop, Goat's Weed, Jamaican Scotch Bonnet, Tabasco and 2011 Garden of Fire - Five Super Hot Mix on the way. Also have Jalapenos, Serranos, and some Thai growing. Excited!

im growing tabascos indoors atm. keep in mind they get obscenely huge. i have 3 under a 600w hps and they are 4-5 ft wide. id assume all frutenses are similar? i cant comment on any of the other seeds you ordered.

Back