• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Record low "high" temp

Cincinnati shattered the record for the lowest high temperature for the first day of July, the 71 degrees that was set decades ago. We reach 69 though had it not been for a few moments of sunshine, it might have been 66-67. Lows are not predicted to be anything close to the record - it should stay in the upper 50s.

On the other side of the coin is Average Temperature. When we are 13 degrees below average, some day we will be the same amount above average. Welcome to triple digits!

Mike

We are at it again. A record low as well as two days of record low high temps. It got all the way up to 67 today. It's suppose to stay below the normal high of 87 most of the week.

This is making the energy company cry in their beer! They are also demanding an explanation from Al "we need cap and tax" Gore.

Mike

same here in michigan.
I hope this is the reason my thai hots and super chlli's are taking FOREVER to get ripe.
i have one on there thats been light brown for weeks now.

It gets worse. July is going to go down as the coldest July EVER, with the average temp .5 degree below the old record; amazingly a total of 380 degrees below normal or 12.3 degrees per day. We have yet to have one day when the temps were at least 90 degrees, we average nine.

The "official" rainfall is just above average but, as has been normal for at least the last four years, my neighborhood has received two huge downpours when officially the airport (which is where the stats are recorded).

So far, it hasn't hurt my garden but it is slowing the ripening of toms significantly. It's a good thing I have several Siletz maters - they were developed to grow well in the Pacific Northwest which is what type of weather we are having.

The scary thing is the likelihood that temps for the entire summer will average out, meaning a month of heat where every day it is above 90 or even 100.

Mike

Hrmm, think you could send some of that cold weather this way? Down here we've had about 4 days in the past 3 or 4 weeks that the high temp has been under 100. We've been hitting 103-106 pretty consistently since the end of June.

weatherforecast.jpg

And that rain in the forecast is much needed, we haven't had anywhere near enough rain this year.

Tx,

How do you get tomatoes to ripen? We had a heat wave like that (very, very rare in OH0 and my maters refused to get ripe. I didn't have them staked which may have made a difference but as it was, the tops were bright read and the bottom as white as a ghost.

Mike

An update - I don't know if people are using different standards or not, but the news just reported that with only six days to go, and lower than normal temps predicted for the next week, we are a full 1.1 degrees below the record low, set in 1947.

I'm noticing some leaves turning yellow on the bottom of tomato plants - I don't think it is abnormal but I figure that I need to crawl through the rows tomorrow (note to self: spray lots of anti-bug spray on exposed body part) and remove them.

Mike

Tx is right...we have had a bad stretch of hot weather here in North Texas but have gotten some relief over the past two weeks with rain and clouds...

I just heard a few minutes ago that the hill country around Austin/San Antonio is in the worst drought since the 50s...

All the farmers around here are having a terrible year again with the cold nights and continuous rain. Local produce is going to be expensive again:(

As cool as July has been, I think we only set two records for the overall lowest temps. Except for those times, overnight temps have stayed in the low-mid 60s; the average is 67. It's the day-time temps that have been in the 60s and 70s all month long. The average high is 87. A couple of days were were a full 20 degrees below normal.

Mike

here in ontario canada we've had record lows all summer. Also record rain falls which has been drowning out my gardens. lately we've seen a bit of a pick up but fall and really cool evenings are in the air as well. i just hope all isn't lost this year for my chili's. very slow year.

A rarity:

Yesterday was the first day since June 28 that the high temperature is above the average high. It may also (not positive) be the first time since June that we have gone three days in a row without rain.

Mike

Back