• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

recovery from damping off?

I started a tray of 24 extra early this year and most everything started damping off but I seem to have gotten it under control by treating w/ diluted H2O2 and adding a fan. I haven't lost a start after 2 weeks w/ the setup change however things seem to be going really quite slowly -- probably especially since they're out in a garage that has a temp range of 50-65. I'm curious what sort of results people have had from saving plants that have been affected by damping off. Will they always be runts or is there hope for a full recovery? I wouldn't be opposed to just saving the strongest looking ones since it was as much a science experiment as a start to next season. They are under a hydrofarm 2ft/4bulb t5 light that i've been running 16hrs on 8 hrs off. Any suggestions or guidance?

Thanks!

I think I've only had one survive damping off, and yes, I would say it had a full recovery. Plants are sometimes stronger than we know. Bottom-watering will help, too, if you avoid letting the surface of the soil get wet.

50/65 is cool for the pepper seedlings...tomato starts can tolerate the environment but I'd suggest keeping the (all) starts under a shoplight in an enclosed area. Perhaps a large carboard box or cut to size large styrofoam panels. Keep the plants away from the floor. Bottom water, keeping a humidity dome over the plant trays until the majority of seeds sprout. Survivors are the seedlings that haven't dampened off, in most cases the plants will grow to their typical size and shape. There are occasional situations where the plants will turn yellow due to extreme moisture levels, become stunted and lose their vigor. I may grow 10 of a variety and only keep the best 7 or 8 plants....the cream of the crop. Not every seed becomes a winner. If possible plant extra. Good luck with the rest of your sprouts. Try to bring up the ambient temperature and keep the moisture level to a minimum...

Greg

Or you can do what I did. I bought the cheap rooting powder from HD. And cloned them. They eventually rooted after 7-14 days.
8FDF7C02-6861-43EC-A44C-B83A2DC7F3F6-6306-000002464A0CF328.jpg

15A4FA9A-06DF-43E0-B26D-5B674D17982D-6306-000002464D868CBF.jpg

Back