• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Red BAKED chicken

Not sure how well this is going to turn out but im feeling lazy today

About 8 chicken thighs
1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
1/4 cup Mirin
2 tbs LKK double fermented soy sauce
about another tbs of tamari....tasted like it needed more soy and it was handy
1 tbs Japanese sesame oil
1 tbs Korean pepper flakes (heaping)
1 tbs raw sugar
1 tbs LKK Char Siu sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp 5 spice
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp white pepper

9x14 casserole dish

Coat the thighs in the "braising sauce" and arrange in the casserole dish.
Sprinkle a little sea salt on top
Add remainder of the sauce and bake uncovered at 300F till done...they went in the oven about 30min ago.

Skin probably wont get crispy and there is nowhere for the chicken fat to go... but.... i plan on removing the skin and draining the thighs just for the meat. Kinda sounds good with some stirfried noodles or maybe ramen.

Heck yeah man! Or even some nice Basmati rice! Yum!

Someone taught me a trick about thigh skin. Remove it, cut the fat off then replace it. You get the best of both worlds, crispy skin and no oil pools in your sauce. Maybe you could take them out of the sauce pan they're in and put them in an empty pan under the broiler to crisp them up? Anyway, I'd love to see pics when you're done! Sounds delicious!!!

I may put them on a rack after braising....im just really lazy today. Normally i would just use it as a marinade and bake them on a rack or grill. Then brush with the marinade mixed with honey.

After 1 hour they still need more time. Check them again in 30min
2b6cWBm.jpg

I think that would be awesome as a marinade for grilled thighs served with rice and broccoli.  Looks good the way you do it, but I am partial to thighs grilled or smoked on my Egg.  Will def be stealing the recipe.  One question, what is the Char Siu sauce?

Char Siu sauce is also called Chinese BBQ sauce. LKK has some premade but its nowhere near as good as homemade but far easier to find. Ingredients for homemade can be really hard unless you have a very serious Asian market.

Char Siu Ji is Chinese BBQ chicken. When its just called Char Siu at a restaurant its normally a semi fatty cut of pork.
81OxSE9UjGL._SY550_.jpg

If you want to make the authentic sauce from scratch you will need red fermented bean curd. Some recipes also call for Chu hou paste. Hoisin sauce also but thats common at all the markets. The red bean curd is the most critical for authentic. I get the Wangzhihe brand but there are others. Higher end markets will have 1 or 2 brands in small ceramic crocks. That stuff is double the price and its supposed to be the best.
red-fermented-bean-curd.jpg

Chu-Hou-Paste.jpg

BTW the Chu Hou paste is very good in Chinese beef and radish stew.

The Hot Pepper said:

It's what gives the bits of pork in fried rice, and the ribs, the red color at Chinese joints.

Well that and the large amount of red dye many of them use. Proper cooking technique, red bean curd, raw sugar and soy is harder to accomplish but i managed to get it right after a few tries. The red bean curd contains red yeast rice. Its similar to Japanese Koji used for making sake. The LKK BBQ sauce is VERY sweet and really good thinned with a bit of rice wine and soy sauce for ribs or pretty much any BBQ pork.

Yeah I know about the dye at the take-out places, it's really more like a glaze that makes the meat more attractive and nothing like real char siu. It almost looks like a smoke ring on the pork of pork fried rice.

Man I love Chinese bakeries. Do they have the hot dog bun? I used to live on that thing. Like 65 cents in Chinatown, a sweet bun with hot dog, sweet and savory!

They make a Chinese sausage bun that is great. Hard to describe the sausage but the bun is a bit sweet. The pineapple buns are to die for and they have them with or without custard filling....I will drive all the way there just for a 6 pack of them after i get done shopping at the other end of our "China Town".

Having real Chinese food REALLY kills it for me when you get into the suburbs and eat from the take out places. I had 1 place near me with the secret "green menu". They closed shortly after i found out they also had the real deal. Their dumplings were just stellar and one of the few places that served preserved mustard green pork soup. Ive had 2 Asian friends that both owned restaurants and sold them. Both smaller places but they loved to let me try the real stuff.

For about a year my work lunch was called "lunch box". Normally it consisted of whatever they made for the staff/family for lunch. 3-4 small portions and a bunch of rice plus a large cup of soup. Best $6 lunch in town.

Back