food Red Beans and rice

This may not be traditional but for a Northerner it's pretty damn good stuff.
overnight soaked beans
P5300002.jpg

sauteed onion,bell pepper,celery(trinity)no better smell in the kitchen when it is cooking.
P5300005.jpg

spice dump(scorpion powder,old bay,sea salt,garlic,garlic and onion powder,cracked black pepper bay leaves,oregano
P5300001.jpg

smoked sausage in to plump up before cubing
P5300007.jpg

sweet cornbread
P5300001_2.jpg

rice cooked and plated
P5300006_1.jpg

Phil said:
You're right. Not quite traditional, but it looks like you put your own twist on it and it looks tasty as hell! Fine job!
   Coming from Louisiana,thank you Phil.I have the up-most respect for your southern cooking.No one does more with good spices and fresh produce then a savory Cajun. ;)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
So is it is still the trinity if you switch the green pepper with a red, orange or yellow one? 

Yep. The trinity doesn't call for green, red, orange, or yellow, as far as I know... it calls for bell pepper. Use ripe ones when you want a pop of color, like in a seafood and corn soup or chowder or etouffee.

Onions, bell pepper, celery. And to be honest, I don't really know why they stop there. Because if you ask me, garlic is also a must have, as well as bay leaves. Randy had his bases all covered.

I like to go an extra step with fresh parsley and scallions added just before serving, especially for gumbos/soups. Not so much for dishes like red beans or jambalaya where you want all of the flavors married.

And if you want to try something new, this stuff will make you throw that Old Bay in the garbage, or at least tuck it way back in the spice cabinet where you'll only dig it out for your traditional NE seafood dishes:

http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Bold-Creole-Seasoning/dp/B00EV5E47A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1433080671&sr=8-11&keywords=tony+chachere%27s+creole+seasoning

I was being silly but that you for the perfect and prompt response...like the salad haters here I throw green peppers on the floor. 

Nice dish randyp!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I was being silly but that you for the perfect and prompt response...like the salad haters here I throw green peppers on the floor. 

Nice dish randyp!

Oh! lol... I should have known you of all people....

Back