• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Red Chili leaves possible wilting (seedlings no true leaves)

Hi, I have four seedlings and all of them have a very light green tip that curls ever so slightly upwards or downward or both on the same plant. It's been sunny and hot as Hell but in the afternoon VERY RAINY. I bring them out in the morning and water and after school (-7 hrs) I water them because soil is only a little damp then 2 hours leather it pours for a few hours and it's been like this for 2 days. Any help? No pics as I'm posting this at night and the kitchen lights won't do it justice.

+1 @ buzz, way to much water. my seedlings get watered every couple of days, when the leaves start to wilt. and i have a soil moisture meter i got from canadian tire for 6 bucks, it helps a lot if i am unsure

i agree with both of you. Plus there aren't any true leaves yet. Depending on containers, soil, etc they might only need a light watering once a week. Try to let them dry out and pick up the pot every day instead of watering every day. This will get you used to what the thing weighs when it needs water or when its good. Wait till it feels light and isn't getting lighter then give it a good bottom watering.

^^^ What they said. If you keep them too damp, you're going to end up killing them by "damping off". It's basically where the stem rots and dies at soil level because of the excess moisture. And you might want to get a fan on them pretty soon to help dry the surface and build strength in the stems. A light breeze will do the trick.

DEFINITE WILTING ISSUE!
I cut back and watered only in the morning yesterday and left them out for the night(time to get them used to night temps) and this morning I found this
35kv95c.jpg
I just watered them sooo any help!?

I'm still a bit confused the soil top is pretty much dry after 7 hours and it is in direct sunlight (>23 Celsius) for 9 hours and indirect sunlight for 2 hours (~20 Celsius) and grown outside. I just sowed one more seed into a bigger ceramic pot maybe I can do better on this one.

the first inch or two of soil can be dry but further down in the pot it is still wet, you are in oakville ontario? go to canadian tire and get a $6 soil moisture meter, and check it with that, i am almost willing to bet that your soil is boarding wet.  just because the top is dry does not mean the rest of the pot is. pepper plants like to dry out a bit, they hate being wet, the roots cant breathe when they are wet.

i am just north of kingston ontario and the temperature has hit 32, its been high 20's all week and i have not watered my plants at all, they are fine and happy and not dry at all.

It can be left for days. The plant will let you know when it really needs water. Lear to read the plant. That's the best gift. If it's outdoors and it rains a few times a week then you don't even need to water. Nature will take acre of it.

Mine have been outside for 2 months and I have watered only once.

Back