• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Red Chilis? More Specific, Please...

I just bought a six pack of "red chili" plants from the local home improvement store. What exactly is a red chili? Is it just that vague? "What kinda peppers are these?"..... "Red chilis.... duh! Can't you tell?!"

I'm in the same boat. Wish I'd come to this site before buying lol. I'll be curious to see how my generics compare to yours. I'm apprehensive that they are Thai birds eye because I bought an ornamental Thai Birdseye at the same place. My guess was similar to yours, cayenne or Tabasco. It's incredible how much I've learned here in the short time I've been here, awesome site with a generally cool community!

Edit: accidental double post

Prolly a Serrano.

Got some plants last year just marked "Chile Pepper" and that's what they turned out to be.
Looked like your pic also.
Not a bad pepper, but not a super either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serrano_pepper

I wouldn't be disappointed if they would be serranos, but I think serranos grow a little longer than the 2.5" described on my pepper's tag. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a super to be good. As long as it's a good tasty pepper for making a proper mash with, I'll be happy. It won't be long until I get my answer. I noticed yesterday that one of my red chili plants has its first baby pepper on it. I noticed that the flower "stems" are very long..... longer than any pepper stem I've ever seen. And they grow straight down... more so than just free hanging. Sort of like the Vietnamese tear jerker pepper, but that has a s smaller pod (less than 2")

I'm in the same boat. Wish I'd come to this site before buying lol. I'll be curious to see how my generics compare to yours. I'm apprehensive that they are Thai birds eye because I bought an ornamental Thai Birdseye at the same place. My guess was similar to yours, cayenne or Tabasco. It's incredible how much I've learned here in the short time I've been here, awesome site with a generally cool community!

Ditto! I'll post a pic of the ripe pod before I eat it. I'll also provide a description of the heat level and flavor.

I had a couple of peppers like that last year that I picked up from Lowes or HD. IIRC, they went great on pizza and had a decent little kick although the 30-50 K in the link you posted above is a little of a stretch. I would put the ones I had somewhere in between a Serrano and a Cayenne.

You never know. My plants are only about 6"-8" tall and they each have buds. I haven't been pinching this year.

I had a couple of peppers like that last year that I picked up from Lowes or HD. IIRC, they went great on pizza and had a decent little kick although the 30-50 K in the link you posted above is a little of a stretch. I would put the ones I had somewhere in between a Serrano and a Cayenne.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 30-50K is a little bit of a stretch.

Updated pic..... my first little red chili pod.

8703972239_b32f9e5e33_b.jpg

Okay, I have a few full size peppers on the red chili plants. They're not ripe yet, but they won't be getting any bigger. I tasted a couple and they fall WAYYYYY short of the 30K-50K SHU boasted on the link I posted for red chilis. MAYBE 5K at the most. They're loaded with seeds and have a typical green pepper flavor (somewhere between a jalapeno and a bell pepper). I'm thinking serrano. Thoughts?

8854530813_30b2eb02e9_b.jpg

I don't think they're quite long enough to be cayennes, and not fat enough to be jalapenos..... although they do have the same streamlined shape of jalapenos. Slight curve, smooth skin, blunt, rounded tip. They're only about a finger's size.... in both length and diameter. They're still not quite as hot as most green jalapenos, though. I'll wait until they ripen and taste another one.

Thanks for the input, folks!

Not sure I agree with post 30 or 31. They don't look anything like the japs and cayenne I have growing. They do look a lot like serranos, and like I mentioned a few posts up, they look just like the ones I grew last year, which I don't have a name for either since they were the same type of generic pepper that Lowes sells. 

These guys STILL aren't ripe! I've already harvested 100+ ripe habaneros, and these guys are still green. So I just ate another.... it was a good deal hotter than the last one I ate. I'm starting to believe the 20K+ rating on the tag.

PepperDaddler said:
Look like serranos you get at the grocery store.

If they are good that is all that matters!

They sure do. Taste like them too, but I'd say these are hotter than serranos. They actually made me grab the milk!

Back