• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red Chiltepin

2010 wasn't my best pepper growing season. But, I did have an interesting stray come up. It turns out it was a seed from a red chiltepin plant I bought 3 years ago from chileplants.com. I don't know if it was deposited in an empty pot by bird or wind but it has prospered nonetheless and inspired me.

014.jpg

017.jpg

that,s really cool!!! reminds me of the plant i have growing in the crack of my step, i dropped the seed accidentally at some point and it grew all on its own its either wiri wiri or wild Brazil they are related to chiletepin

as for it being chiletepin i dont think that's what that is, i say this because of the size of the fruit,its too large for chiletepin, i would say if anything maybe Pequin IMHO i could be wrong

nice plant thanks your friend AJIJOE

Thank you for your comment AjiJoe. I too doubt it being a chiltepin. It looks like the same plant that I bought from chileplants.com that was labeled red chiltepin and I think it was labeled incorrectly. It is much larger than the bird peppers I'm used to seeing that are the size of BB's and is certainly not round.

I'm not sure what it is except that it is hot and is quite hardy.

Yeah, doesnt look much like Tepins. I grew them this year, and they were WAY smaller than that. Those almost even look like Rocoto's.

know what POOPER your right it does look like Rocoto i didnt take notice before but its hairy

thanks AJIJOE

Thanks for the feedback guys.. I agree it's probably not chiltepin. I've been growing peppers several years now and I can say I haven't seen this pod shape and size yet. I don't think it's a Rocoto though. I will post a photo when I cut one and remove all doubt.

Take care..............

Bob

either it's a pubescens of a frutescens or a cross of something or other. lol. =D

my black furry frutescens has similar furriness to hose. goatsweed. but it has different growth patterns than that.

Update on this pepper plant -

After having looked at several websites with images of pepper pods, I now think this is a Besler's Cherry - an heirloom chiltepin. It has proven to be extremely hardy having survived the winter (covered during freeze conditions mostly but still outside) which has been even colder than last year.

Does anyone have any experience with Besler's Cherry?

218.jpg

213.jpg

Hate to disagree with you again, but I don't think Besler's cherry is correct either. The size of the pods in your photo just don't make sense for that variety. I'm saying I know what it is, but I'm pretty sure I know what it isn't. Regardless, not a tepin.

Check this out: http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=CHERRY&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

Hate to disagree with you again, but I don't think Besler's cherry is correct either. The size of the pods in your photo just don't make sense for that variety. I'm saying I know what it is, but I'm pretty sure I know what it isn't. Regardless, not a tepin.

Check this out: http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=CHERRY&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

I hear you RTF - But, take a look at this CC Nursery photo of their Besler's Cherry and read the description. I wouldn't normally call this a chiltepin, but they do. I think this is what I have - not saying it's a Besler's Cherry - but it looks quite different from the chileman.org image.

beslers-cherry.jpg

Well, if you look at Cross Counrty Nursery's description of pods, they are pretty generalized. If they are small / round, then they are tepin type pods. They have wild brazil (Capsicum chinense) listed as a chiltepin/tepin type pod. It is possible that it is the Besler's Cherry but still can't call it a chiltepin (in my humble opinion).

Well, if you look at Cross Counrty Nursery's description of pods, they are pretty generalized. If they are small / round, then they are tepin type pods. They have wild brazil (Capsicum chinense) listed as a chiltepin/tepin type pod. It is possible that it is the Besler's Cherry but still can't call it a chiltepin (in my humble opinion).

I agree RF.

I did slice some of the pods for beef bai krapow tonight and whatever it is it's HOT and good flavor. I put some sliced pieces in Nam Pla and it's really tasty! It's a neat pepper and I am looking forward to it thriving this season! I will definity save some seeds for next year - it's a hardy devil whatever it is......

Don't get me wrong, that is a beautiful plant and some nice looking pods. It is very possible it is a Besler's cherry. Have fun with 'em and enjoy!!!

Back