• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Congos at Kroger?

On Sunday I went grocery shopping at my local Krogers/Payless in WL, IN. I was shocked to find large red chinense in a bin near the orange habaneros in the produce section. They were not labeled! I couldn't resist and picked two of the largest and nicest pods I could find. Surprisingly, they were all in pretty good shape, usually the habs are half rotten! The receipt showed them as "jalapenos" $0.07 each. I grew Red Congo Trinidads last year, and these looked just like them. They were quite large and had the same interesting shape. I cut them up last night and they had the same aroma and flavor I remember, except they were much hotter than I remember and the heat lingered for almost 30 minutes?! I wish that I took a pic before chopping them up....

I am pleasantly shocked that a grocery superstore would have such a thing!

I saved the seeds

You know the rules, pics or didn't happen!

BTW, since we're in the same general area, I'll have to stop by my Kroger and see if they have them. I've only seen red habaneros there once.

I ran into the same thing last year at an albertsons near by. Unfortunately I was not growing peppers at that time so did not think to save any seeds. You are right, they were BIG pods, very firm, and incredibly tasty and hot. They had them back in december and since then the only thing they have is tiny orange habs, that are half rotted like you said. So I would say really good find on your part, and let us know how the seeds turn out and if the plants grow true.

I always keep an eye out. We have 3 stores in the area, the one closest to the University is the one I found them in. The others rarely even have orange habaneros. I have found green De arbol, finger hots, red habs, and green japones there in the past year. I have tried them all only to be disappointed. It seems the grocery store "sucks out" the flavor and heat of normally flavorful/hot chiles! These however did not disappoint in any way!

typically, it seems, that grocery stores get their pepper produce from places that are only concerned with pumping out huge amounts of pods as opposed to quality ones. Who can blame them though when they are supplying people that don't know the difference when it comes to peppers. If anything it just gives me a stronger argument with my fiance as to why I need all these plants at the house, HAHA. There is a mexican grocery store across the street from my work that I have not ventured into yet, but I'm sure they have bins filled with pepper goodies I can't find in the regular grocery stores.

since we're in the same general area, I'll have to stop by my Kroger and see if they have them. I've only seen red habaneros there once.

Nope, just shitty run of the mill half rotten orange habaneros.

Oh well, it's not like I'm lacking for pods right now anyway. :D A huge bag of nice red habaneros for $2 is hard to pass up though.

Back