• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Red Habanero variety?

I got the seeds from these from Red Habs I bought in a Weis grocery store in PA.  As I described in another thread, the pods put a hurting on me back then in 2014.  

I grew them out this summer and picked the first ripe pods from my plant this afternoon.  Sampled a pod today and lo and behold, they still pack a good punch.  

Anyone have any idea what variety of Red Habanero these could be?  Package in grocery store just said Habaneros.  They kind of resemble Savinas I grew from Cross Country Nurseries last summer, but I didn't get any elongated pods from that plant like you see in this photo.

20802881180_928d4399a9_k.jpg

They look like they could be Ugandan or maybe Guadalupe habaneros.  They do look very similar to some red savina habs that I grew last year as well, though this year that same plant is putting out red pumpkins so who knows.

rkempston said:
They dont look the right color to be Caribbean reds. Plus CR arent quite as hot and have a semi fruity flavor.
Grew Caribbeans last summer also. I agree about heat and flavor. Also, the skin is not as waxy as my Caribbeans. These are burners in comparison to any Hab I've had. Burn hits quick and violently, then stops under 10 min.

I like them, whatever they are. Plant is really nice looking and puts out prolific amounts of healthy red pods with good flavor. They will make for good flakes or powder.

Back