• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Red... Jalapenos?

Red... Jalapenos?

I went to the supermarket today to buy a bunch of peppers to try my hand at hot sauce making.

Well, there was slim pickings. They had Jalapenos and these red ones called Red Mexican Peppers. I don't bvelieve for a second that that is their actual name.

They are about the size of Jalapenos but they are pure red. All of them in the bin were all 100% red. I know Jalaps can get red but I rarely see them without the name Jalapeno on them...

Normally I would roll over and not care but these taste amazing. Amazing is too small of a word. It's by far the best hot sauce I have ever had. I keep going back to sample it. I am thinking about The spice is around Jalaps.

So, what do you think these are?

RedJalaps.jpg

Those look like some red peppers they have here in our supermarket labeled red chili pepper. Don't quite have the jalapeno shape.....too wide at the stem and pointy at the end.

I'd been wondering about these as well. Very nice heat and flavor.

I have a young plant here that throws identical. The seed came from some hals I bought at a market. The guy has a ton of peppers and no isolation.
I'll guess it's a hybrid.
My goal is to do pure species(that you could find in the wild.)
Like my old mentor used to say. " want in one hand and chit in the other."
I've set up where the varieties can be a minimum of 300 feet apart. Now. Which 5 to grow ?

Purple jalapenos are that same shape, though I don't see a size comparison. They also get redder than standard jalapenos. However, I'm inclined to think those are not purple jalapenos, because they're still not the same red.

Back