• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Red, Ripe Serrano: Early Thanksgiving Taste

1zdp5yw.jpg

Chewing up from the tips, the ripe pods show a pronounced sweetness. Heat in the seed/membrane area is substantial (but manageable), smoldering, and long-lasting.

This plant might've become a cull, but it was casually poked into the edge of the compost pile, and that seems to have become a comfortable home.

Cultivar: unknown

Seed source: grocery store fruit

. . . shorter . . .

The pods—about 45 of them—on this plant ran to three inches. Longer ones can be found in the markets, but the majority of those chiles are green. For a slow-starting plant that was nearly culled, production was pretty pleasing to me.

Serranos aren't much of a glamour chile, but they're mighty handy . . . and pretty dang good. I have two dozen more-exotic varieties to try and get going for Spring, but they may just have to share ground with a few serrano plants, too.

WalkWell said:
. . . tasty I bet :)

Absolutely.

. . . how do you like your DMC-FZ20?

Snoop.

By now, it's a Model T, I guess, but it's still probably better than I am. (I could use an adaptor for the Nikon TC-E17ED tele-converter so wild things could be better captured.)

2hxn39h.jpg

Serrano is one of my favorite mild peppers. Very nice flavor and warm heat. Perfect for pickling and making a salsa.

Gotta have some Serrano, its just..well..a staple...and they seem to take the heat here pretty well too.

Back