chinense Red Yellow Ghost Pepper ???

Started extremely early this year and these plants were part of a hardening off experiment.  Yellow ghost pepper plants were given 24 hour light (MH n HPS) for about a month before going outside.  I was trying to eliminate hardening off time.  Seemed to work well.  However, one plant put on flowers while indoors and now has red pods outdoors.

My first thought is growing indoors in tight spaces, there was cross pollination.  No bees in the plant room but I have fans everywhere.  My second thought is that one of the plants just got mislabeled.  Time will tell with the next wave of pods.  But wonder if the shift from 24 hour light to suddenly a more normal light cycle might have triggered something odd.

Has anyone ever left yellow ghost pods to over mature?  Do they turn red after yellow?  Kind of wondering because I half expected them to stop maturing and fall off with the sudden change.  That is what happened to tomato that got the same treatment.  The tomato formed indoors, then when they went from 24 hours to normal daylight the tomato rotted and fell.

As was mentioned before, cross pollination would only affect the next year's crop (assuming you plant seeds from pods you harvest from this year).  The fruit of this years crop would bear the genetic characteristics of the seeds you planted this year.  So it's most likely just a mislabeled plant.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yellow ghost pods rot and remain dark yellow. 
Thank you.  Haven't grown them previously. Now will be fun to see if the others turn out right, indicating I probably grabbed one wrong plant or if they are all red, indicating I wont buy from that dealer again.

FreeportBum said:
how long you been growing peppers? 
Eight years commercially.  Most of my life other than time in military.  Odd question.  I've never seen a yellow ghost pepper go to rot.  Since only Joyner's shared that information, I imagine neither have you.  How long have you been growing peppers?

compmodder26 said:
As was mentioned before, cross pollination would only affect the next year's crop.
You are absolutely right that all scientific reference states the fruit of a plant depends only on the mother plant's dna.  I am just not sure I believe it.  Hundreds of years of gardening folklore says the opposite.  Of course that folklore could be based on human error, but tell a farmers almanac type that you can grow cucumbers next to cantaloup and not see a difference in the fruit and you will get laughed at.  Someone might even ask you how long you have been growing melons.

In this case I am leaning towards human error.  Either mine or the seed sellers.  Probably mine as with multiple ghost peppers, I am sure I could have grabbed one from the wrong batch on my way to plant.  Not a big deal.  It is going to the mystery garden where i put weird things and welcome cross pollination. 

On the other hand,I can imagine weirder things happening with an experiment like this.  While googling, found a few people who have reported getting both red and yellow from same plant.  Wondering if there might be a stress trigger.  Maybe weird genetics.  If it turns out to be something weird, I'll call it "A.J.'s Not Yellow Ghost Pepper" and sell it along with the forth coming Toe Pepper.

Check it out: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2137090/yellow-ghost-pepper

Back