• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Rediscovered Montreal Market Melon Heirloom

The once-famous Montreal melon, thought to be extinct, was now growing again in its traditional home, the fertile soil on the western slopes of Mount Royal. The melon's roots can be traced back to varieties brought over by French settlers in the seventeenth century.
Seeds were discovered in an Iowa seed bank and it has been brought back.
I am wondering how it would do in northwest florida. It is said to be a very good tasting melon. I read one post where someone in NW Florida did grow it.
1726182365942.png

Sounds like a great tasting melon.

I been away from here for a while and did not get a lot of things done. The seeds that I got from you did show vigor and I next year will plant what I still have under better conditions into decent soil. and actually build some beds and do a better job of weeding. I am not doing a fall planting this year. One can with shade clothes start plants in august and usually the first frosts are in November or later here in my part of Florida.
i found out I will have to use some fencing for the rabbits. My numerous brush piles are preventing my younger dog from killing them and the older dogs are now days too slow. The rabbits do like sweet potato leaves I found out. From now on when ever I get a shot at one from the tractor I will kill them. I have two out of five cassava that are doing well. I planted a little sugar cane and it grows. I will try to grow more next year from the stalks of what I have. The Jerusalem artichoke was a little slow and maybe needs better soil also. I am looking for root crops that I can use for what I think are hardtimes coming to the USA.
The most recent hurricane missed us and hopefully no more come this way.

Last edited:
Back