• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Reducing HPS Light Hours

I have another 4-6 weeks of indoor growing before final plant out. Under a 400-watt HPS, if I just wanted to hold the plants at their present size, how many hours should the light be on?

Top and trim?? I don't have the nerve. I didn't think that reduced hours would cause them to stretch. I have a dimmable ballast. What about 50% power from the ballast?

EDIT:

I think I'm going to have to take them off the table they're on, and put them down on the floor where I can spread them out a little bit.  Clearly, I need to make some adjustments next season now that I see how fast they grow under the HPS.

If you decrease the temperature of your grow room (room temperature will work), that will slow them down a bit. You just need to maintain them until plant out.

Roguejim said:
Top and trim?? I don't have the nerve. I didn't think that reduced hours would cause them to stretch. I have a dimmable ballast. What about 50% power from the ballast?

EDIT:

I think I'm going to have to take them off the table they're on, and put them down on the floor where I can spread them out a little bit.  Clearly, I need to make some adjustments next season now that I see how fast they grow under the HPS.
reduced output of the ballast could also cause stretching if the plants feel they are not getting enough light. I dont know what your growing conditions are but you may be able to reduce ballast output and move the light closer. The reduced output will reduce the temp of the grow area as suggested above and still provide the light intensity the plants need.

btw, topping is an excellent way to promote branching, it is much better if used after the plant has amassed a strong main stem to support the intensive branching that will be produced, or to take it back to the first 3 nodes, providing they are relatively close to the media surface. if stretching has occurred and those nodes are located higher on the main stem the plant will become top heavy possibly requiring the aid of additional support.

Back