• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Refrigerator Pickles and Jalapenos

I decided to make a couple jars of quick refrigerator pickles.  I like these because I only cook the brine.  I let it cool, and then pour it over the pickles and peppers already sliced up and in the jar.  I find this lets the cucumbers retain their crispness.  You must leave these in the fridge and consume within a month or so as this is not proper canning technique (and I don't want SL coming after me with the canning police and the corrector!).

Ingredients:  a cucumber, jalapeno (3), equal parts white vinegar, sugar, and water, two tablespoons pickling spice, tablespoon garlic, one 7-pot cut into chunks.  I heat the liquids and spices along with the 7-pot in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about twenty minutes.  Let cool to room temperature.  Meanwhile slice up the cucumber into 1/8-1/4 inch slices, slice the jalapeno the same.  Put them into the mason jars, pour the liquid over top to almost fill the jar. I added a little pickle crisp which is calcium something or other, I forget.  Refrigerate for a week or two before opening.

100_1744.JPG

100_1745.JPG

100_1746.JPG

Aw JayT, you know you'd like The Corrector~  ;) 

The only thing I'd add is that with the vinegar:water ratio used, as long as it's in the fridge, there isn't much worry about eating it up fast.  It'll last a long time.  I like the cold pack process like that, definitely keeps it crisper. 

No test, amigo! As I always say, "do what you want in your own kitchen".

How long are you going to be able to resist snacking on a piece or two? :lol:

Well, I could resist no longer.  I dove into a jar last night.  The cucumber slices are crisp, the jalapenos have crunch, and the whole thing has a perfect sweet hot taste with the heat building with each bite due to the 7-pot.  So simple, yet so good.  Yum!

I make refrigerator dills and also love sweet hots.  When my Homemade Pickles get ready I'll have to give your proportions a try.

dang, I missed your post, JayT.....you lasted a whole 3-4 days!   :lol:   Refer chiles are guuuuud! 

We have some cold-packed chiles/veggies done 6 months ago and they are still nice and crisp.....

Heh - and I missed this for almost an entire month! I made some last year..... can't say mine lasted more than two weeks!

Back