• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Regrowing produce from discards

In another thread, Helvete mentioned growing a pineaple from the discarded top.  In Alaska no less is just kind of wow.  Started thinking on it.  Not different than regrowing onions from the discarded bottoms / root sections.  I've been doing that for a time.  Caused me to wonder, what other vegetables / produce can you grow from the discards.  Other than the discarded seeds of course.

So what discards do you regrow?

most lettuce if they have heads, Celery, Bok Choy and most onions and herbs. Onions regrow the greens, not sure of the bulbs as I have never tried it.

have grown pineapple, potato, carrot, avocado (briefly), and probably a few others I can't remember right now.

We do green onions all the time. just use them from the store down to the white bit and stick them in dirt. So easy. We have a pineapple growing from a top also but I doubt we will ever see fruit from it. :lol:

I have 7 pineapples grown from tops and 6 of them have younins. It takes a while for them to produce one but they do and one plant I have has produced pineapples 4 times. Trying the onion bottoms and have some growth but not sure what they will actually produce and if not big bulbs when do I harvest what is produced.

Back