• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Relocating plants

So I am down at Pinellas Park, FL at an event and I bought a beautiful jamacian pepper plant that is about a foot or so high and has a dozen peppers on it. Its thriving and doing great...

My question is .. what will happen if I bring it back to NY ? Would this be a bad move since it has been raised since Nov in the humid-hot FL air?

I do have family I can leave the plant with in Northern FL if it will die bringing it back to NY .. I just don't want to put it in shock, you know??

Help me decide!

Plants are raised in one environment (growrooms, greenhouses) and transplanted in another (outside) all the time... I can't imagine going from one one state to another being much different. I would assume you'd take the same precautions... maybe give it some shade at first, and slowly let it have more light. It'll probably adapt.

That plant will thrive this summer in NY, just got a really good head start growing in Florida all winter long. I know we are all here for different reasons, but what is the point of peddling sauces if you cannot even grow a pepper plant? Take it home and care for your plant and you'll discover how much satisfaction there is to growing your own Nicole. Who knows you might just find a special pepper to make a special reserve sauce with. Good luck.

If you are traveling by car, make sure there is no agricultural inspection stations between FL and home. Good luck!

Back