seeds Removing plants/seedlings from root pouches

I've got some seedlings that will be ready to pot up soon.  I usually just start my seedlings in Rapid Rooter plugs and then transplant them into solo cups and lastly they'll go into 5 gallon buckets.  This year I bought some of those 1 pint Root Pouches : https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/root-pouch-black-fabric-pot-15-20-month

I thought I'd use these instead of solo cups and then remove the plants from them before transplanting them into 5 gallon root pouches.

My only concern now is, how easy are the plants to remove from the 1 pint root pouches?  I don't mind cutting the pouches since they're so cheap and I'll only have about 15 or so of them, but even if I cut one side, do the roots grow into the pouch fabric?  Meaning am I going to be ripping the roots apart as I try to remove the plants?  Or do the roots get pruned before going through the fabric?  What about at the bottom of the pouch where they'll be resting?

Also, I'm not sure how well the 1 pint pouches stand up on their own, but I even thought about placing them in a solo cup to help with that.  Can anyone see any issues with doing this?  There will still be an air gap between the cup and pouch, so I'm guessing the air pruning will still take place.

Help an ignorant grower folks, and thanks. :)

Personally i don't forsee any problem removing them, i wouldn't cut the pouches on the first couple that you attempt. In your first attempt you can try removing one with slightly drier soil, and the other with slightly damp soil. My guess is the drier ones will be more compact and easier to remove but you won't know until you try. The only parts that will grow into the fabric are the microscopic root hairs, which is not too big deal imho. There's always going to be some kind of transplant shock involved.

I'm not necessarily recommending this, and it certainly isn't needed, but i give them a tiny dose of genuine aspirin water after potting-up/transplant. One 325mg genuine aspirin per gallon, mixed very well, then one Tablespoon per plant dropped in close to the stem. The plants perk up within an hour and stay that way. I have read that genuine aspirin triggers their immune response and helps the plant during rough times. It can also be sprayed on their leaves, but i wouldn't give them more than one spritz each. For more info on aspirin, try plugging that keyword into the search bar and you'll find other opinions.

I don't use fabric grow bags anymore. Just rigid plastic pots or plastic grow bags. They are cheap, but plastic grow bags are really cheap. When I used fabric grow bags in the past they were for Avocado, and Dragon Fruit Cacti. Never really had a problem with the roots sticking. I would work them out of the bag when the soil was dry and compacted. Very little would fall off. I have had to cut one or 2 bags off from the plant being to big. I have moved to the plastic for this reason. The plastic ones have holes in them for air pruning too. The ones I have a black on one side, and white on the other. You can even turn them inside out if you want. I have only found one hydroponics shop out by me that carries them. I will post pics for you later.

Good luck on de-bagging your plants. The other reason I like the plastic pots is I can sterilize them in the dishwasher after pre-washing them. Use them over and over.

I will never use fabric pouches again. Such a hassle and what a mess. Yes the roots will grow right into the fabric. Makes your job that much harder and puts a ton of stress on the seedling. I pinched the bag all around to break up the dirt then tear the pouch very gently down one side and carefully dump the seedling into your hand. Stressed my seedlings out but they recovered after a couple days. Make sure you water them as soon as you transplant them.

Back