• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Repotting while flowers are forming.

Capsicum

Banned
I have some chillies in containers I want to put in a bit bigger sized. Whats better when repotting in midbloom? Breaking the root mass up, or not. I just repotted one and did not cut the root mass. I know roots will not take off quik but the advantage is the plant is not disturbed.

Whats best?

i usually pinch off the flowers... unless it has huge fruit already... but still... pull off small flowers...

I've broken up the root mass and not lost an excessive amount of flowers. I now transplant with the soil damp in order to minimize stress to the plant,seems to work for me

I like to mold the soil around the old pot while the plant is still in it. then when you take the plant out to put it in the new hole it just fits like a glove. then I hold it over the hole and drop it in and it looks like it wasn't even touched. Its sorta hard to explain what Im talking about, but hopefully it is comprehendible. <- i just made that word up lol. This method seems to do the least amount of damage to the root ball and lets you adjust it before you transplant.

I just repotted a flowering scotch bonnet from 2 gal to 5 gal a few weeks ago and all that has happened is it's dropped the first 5 blooms or so, which I think is normal for a plant the size of mine. I didn't mess with the roots at all, and no shock or anything.

I like to mold the soil around the old pot while the plant is still in it. then when you take the plant out to put it in the new hole it just fits like a glove. then I hold it over the hole and drop it in and it looks like it wasn't even touched. Its sorta hard to explain what Im talking about, but hopefully it is comprehendible.

Yep, that makes perfect sense....and not something i'd have thought of either...thanks Ras :)

I like to mold the soil around the old pot while the plant is still in it. then when you take the plant out to put it in the new hole it just fits like a glove. then I hold it over the hole and drop it in and it looks like it wasn't even touched. Its sorta hard to explain what Im talking about, but hopefully it is comprehendible. <- i just made that word up lol. This method seems to do the least amount of damage to the root ball and lets you adjust it before you transplant.

Truthiness...

i just repotted 6 datils that were in mid flower and dropping buds like crazy about a month ago. they are all podded up now. the larger of the plant has over 50 peppers on it. so as long as your easy on the plant and dont break off too many roots or expose them to air for too long you should do fine.. btw Datils are a bit more sensitive then other peppers ive noticed.. ive seen them wilt up just because i moved them from one place to another.. they always come back tho

Back