• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Repti Glo 10.0 experiment

I was in a pet shop today and saw the reptile fluros they are not cheap but I had a 2 foot tank at home with light and hood and thought why not see if I can make a simple seed propafgator/ seedling box.
ANd so I have set it up and filled it with 12 pots with some scorpion seeds I had. It dosn't say the K of the bulb but I think it will have somekick as its a uv light.
bit of shits and giggles project as we come into winter.
heres some info on the repti glow bulbs like I said I bought the hottest one the 10.0
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/linear_fluorescent_bulbs.php

Anyone know much about this brand? Anyone ever used them for plants?

When I get my Camera back I'll take some pics.

ANy imput from some lights experts?

Cheers

Mick

I found this on a ganja website, seems uvb is good for thc production, dosn't state about seedlings but? so guess I will have to grow it out and see.
Mick

"Article: UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH AND CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis Sativa CHEMOTYPES.
By: JOHN LYDON, ALAN H. TERAMULA and C. BENJAMIN COFFMAN.
Department of Botany, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA.

My estimated conclution: "Add 2 x 23w UVB lights / m2 to your grow room and increase THC levels up to 30% in buds."

Read this science article regarding UVB lights effect on drug type cannabis originated from high heigted tropical areas with highly elevated UVB levels. In experiments with plants they have shown an increase of THC concentration levels in leaves from in a range from 22% - 48% depending on UVB intensity. In flower trichomes they got an increase between 15% - 32%. Thats staggering news! Now, this is laboratory conditions with UVB lights flitered to emitt in 300 nm wavelenght UVB light. It's widely known that THC UVB absorption properties range between 280 - 315 nm, so that is important. There's no longer any doubt in my mind that UVB boosts the THC potency of drug type cannabis, and that dont having UVB light is not realising the full potential of our dear plants! Time for a change imho!

What id like to do is to get an estimate on how indoor growers could reproduce this results at home. To get an estimate on what lights, how much lights, and so on, wich could be beneficial. According to the scientists they used 240w UVB, but i dont know on how big of an area. The scientists says that 13,4 KJ / m2 is the level of UCB used in their trials, and that is as much as the UVB levels in 3000m altitude in mountains where strong marijuana is found to grow. According to the article marijuana grown in these UVB rich areas has a 33% increased THC content compared to the same marijuana grown at sea level.

Looking at wikipedia, i found that 1w = 3600 J (3,6KJ), but that seems a bit high compared to the ammount used by scientists, so I devided it to 0,36 KJ instead thinking i made some error somewhere. If i divide 240w (amount UVB scientist used) in 5m2, i get roughly 72w/m2, wich is around 14KJ according to my estimates, and that fits exactly and seems to be a fair estimate, so i think im on the right track here! Then, a 13w UVB light would give 4,5 KJ. Thats what i use, and that seems a bit lesser than needed. 2 x 23w UVB / m2 in the right spectrum should to the trick to produce massively strong cannabis with approximately up to 30% increased THC production in buds! I noticed the UVB bulb I use has the perfect spectrum for cannabis, repti glo 10.0. They come in 13w and 23w strength, and is avalible in sorted zoo shops.

Repti glo 10.0 UV spectrum chart:

It need to be stressed that UVB light is harmful to humans and plants that dont have developed defences to it (like cannabis has). When having such a bulb in the grow room, it need to be switched of when entering to room. Cancer is a known effect of UVB light exposure."

Gday Mate,
UVB - UVA - UVC
They are not all good for the plant, The repti glo is PERFECT for flowering plants as it throws MORE UVB than UVC or UVA , UVA is the bad spectrum and can burn anything !
UVC is not so important to plants as it is to animals - BUT UVB is what you are looking for and have found the right globe also !
I have used ALL spectrum's for years in Hydroponics.
HID Metal Halide dose have a little UVB- UVC anyway but bolstering it will have positive affects on the flower pistil and development of hormones used to produce fruit and flower ! Compliment with HID HPS and you have recreated the outdoor light spectrum !

I would say that it would only help point it in the right direction to utilise its gens and max out its temp & size!

yep should be interesting.
The light is a 60 cm fluro so have set it around 15cm above the plants, in the Tank.
Over the next few weeks we will see how they go.
I'm growing them in cocco.

Wow that sounds interesting. I have an empty 65 gallon tank and never thought about putting the seeds in the tank and just using that as an incubator. Please post some pics and follow up on how they are doing. I went out and got a jiffy seed starting kit for my first 72, but I still have more than half the seeds left so may just get one of those lights and use the old tank as you have.

Good luck!

the tank will work to a point, I've used it to get the plants up to 10 to 15cms or so (4-6 inches) then it gets a bit crowded and the air movement may become an issue.

stillmanz said:
the tank will work to a point, I've used it to get the plants up to 10 to 15cms or so (4-6 inches) then it gets a bit crowded and the air movement may become an issue.

Would a longer tank work better? I have a 65 long that's only about 16" tall, but a lot longer than the tall tank. Also how far apart did you plant the seeds 1" 2" or more?

Growing in a tank works great. It's how I started all of my seeds!

Snapshot_20081128.jpg

that is a 20gal Long layed on its side. You are looking at the metal mesh top, which I fit some plastic drop cloth to. On top, I had an old aquarium light that I had just (in that picture, its been a while since) replaced with a couple cfls.

Snapshot_20081128_1.jpg

It worked pretty well as you can see!

Keep us updated with that light and your setup! I'm interested on how it'll turn out!

Pita said:
Growing in a tank works great. It's how I started all of my seeds!

Snapshot_20081128.jpg

that is a 20gal Long layed on its side. You are looking at the metal mesh top, which I fit some plastic drop cloth to. On top, I had an old aquarium light that I had just (in that picture, its been a while since) replaced with a couple cfls.

Snapshot_20081128_1.jpg

It worked pretty well as you can see!

Keep us updated with that light and your setup! I'm interested on how it'll turn out!

By the way, it was one of my snakes' old tank, so that black thing on its bottom is actually a reptile heat mat. If you're lookin to make it warmer in there, you can go search one of those out :lol:

Back