misc retail kiosk in popular mall

DEFCON Creator said:
Malls are merely the dwelling places for the lemmings who shouldn't be allowed to procreate. Oh what a joy it is, during the holiday season, seeing the mile-long line of cars, owned by the cranially-challenged, waiting for a parking space that doesn't exist. Not to mention the amazing fashion statements one finds within the walls of one of these Bastions Of The Inept. It's like a really bad version of Night of the Living Dead, complete with the aimlessly walking pseudo-bipeds, in their never ending quest for something they don't know they are looking for.
:)

DEFCON Creator said:
Malls are merely the dwelling places for the lemmings who shouldn't be allowed to procreate. Oh what a joy it is, during the holiday season, seeing the mile-long line of cars, owned by the cranially-challenged, waiting for a parking space that doesn't exist. Not to mention the amazing fashion statements one finds within the walls of one of these Bastions Of The Inept. It's like a really bad version of Night of the Living Dead, complete with the aimlessly walking pseudo-bipeds, in their never ending quest for something they don't know they are looking for.

I agree completely with you....thats why i'm killing myself trying to get my daughter to quit being a mall-rat.

Are you selling your own sauces, or selling brand name sauces? The reason I ask is there are better ways you can go about this, especially if it's your sauce.

Wish you the best thak!
It's difficult to live and breath peppers and hot sauce, and not get directly involved in the industry in some form or another. It just seems to happen when ya become addicted to the Precious..The Almighty Pepper!! :)

I looked onto it once and got about the same figures. Way over my head. I'm already on a shoestring. Needed nearly 40K to 'start', with 2 or 3 months paid in advance. :( And I don't even like malls, but as John said, they're full of lemmings looking for 'something'.
At least, the one kiosh selling sauces could allow sampling. But they are very diversified. But to pull in the money needed to operate, based on wholesale costs of 50% of retail, you need to plan on another 5K, month, just to almost break even and get minimum wage.
I fell guilty enough charging $6. for a bottle of some sauces, but I see the booths charging $10 for the same sauces.:lol:
Extracts can last a long time, but some people use a bottle of Dave's Ginger Peach in a day! I have one customer who buys it by the case, and a restaurant trying a few sauces I gave them.
So far, I'm sticking to carrying sauce I love and folks at the resort give great marks to. Pricing is lower from each manufacturer, per item, too. A shotgun approach is to order from a central distributor, such as http://www.hotshotshotsauce.com/, paying slightly more for each sauce, but getting a wider selection. I may go that route later, but to get good pricing, I need to order 10 to 15 cases at a time.
Anyway, I hope you do well, and maybe we can even help each other out someway. :)

thakswet said:
Just got home from the meeting.

Sampling is out of the question.

and here's the pricing:

2K security deposit on the CART....a CART not a Kiosk.
$750 registration fee includes two signs and help from a mall decorator.
2.2K for October rent
7.5K per month for Nov, Dec, Jan.
No Negotiations.
Staff has to wear Mall Outfits.

We've decided to look into a different direction right now.

any suggestions?

For that kind of money you might look into local advertising of your product.

Maybe you can talk the manager of the local Costco or Sam's Club into letting you do a tasting that they are so famous for...

(I am sure their corporate lawyers would go "non-linear" on something like that)

Try a local or independent grocery store into carrying your product and you do the promo booth with a tasting and buy back the inventory if they want out after six months..

I wish you luck.. it's not going to be easy. Jim

From What I understand it costs money to get in major retail places like Costco as well. For those of us starting small that's probably a long way down the ole chile road.

Back