• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Reusing commercial bottles

So I have a friend who can get me empty Cholula bottles. I would like to reuse them to make my own. unfortunately when I trying to sanitize the bottle caps the wood top separates from the plastic cap the plastic cap contains a glue residue which I do not know how to get rid of. anyone here knows where can I purchase that type of bottle cap.

Sounds like a lot of work to properly sanitize the bottles when new bottles can be purchased for (.50?) ... Don't know if you can even find those bottles and wood caps anywhere new, let alone just the caps.  Might be proprietary.  I do know that a couple of bottle companies have those type bottles (smaller neck dropper type) new with plastic caps.  Freund, SKS, Container&Packaging....one of those has the small neck bottles.  Sorry, this doesn't help your quest for the bottle caps~~~

Good Luck-  
SL

Elpicante said:
So I have a friend who can get me empty Cholula bottles. I would like to reuse them to make my own. unfortunately when I trying to sanitize the bottle caps the wood top separates from the plastic cap the plastic cap contains a glue residue which I do not know how to get rid of. anyone here knows where can I purchase that type of bottle cap.
Empty as in unused? Use a no rinse sanitizer like Starsan maybe?

If it's empty as in used and dirty and needs to be cleaned that makes things tougher,

No it did, thanks salsalady, he is trying to help me out. I did not have the heart to tell him no. It not a hard process. I dip them in water and the labels come right off. Then I leave in a bin with a bleach solution finally the go through the dishwasher sanitize cycle. The caps have been the trick part. I don't care for the wood as that might as you said proprietary but the plastic cap is what I'm after. .50 a bottle where. All I see in Amazon are 12 for 1.20 at the least.

Again thanks,

salsalady said:
Sounds like a lot of work to properly sanitize the bottles when new bottles can be purchased for (.50?) ... Don't know if you can even find those bottles and wood caps anywhere new, let alone just the caps.  Might be proprietary.  I do know that a couple of bottle companies have those type bottles (smaller neck dropper type) new with plastic caps.  Freund, SKS, Container&Packaging....one of those has the small neck bottles.  Sorry, this doesn't help your quest for the bottle caps~~~

Good Luck-  
SL

+1 on where to get .50 bottles! The cheapest I found came out to like .73 after shipping even if you ordered alot. Tapitio is only .76 with sauce in it. If Walmart would Just put a couple boxes in their canning section it would be nice.

How many Cholula bottles are you getting free? Must be from a restaurant or something? So you don't want the wood cap but the cap separates and leaves on glue on the cap. Okay so your options are buy new bottles and caps, or caps only. I can look around for a good price. Quantity?

The Hot Pepper said:
How many Cholula bottles are you getting free? Must be from a restaurant or something? So you don't want the wood cap but the cap separates and leaves on glue on the cap. Okay so your options are buy new bottles and caps, or caps only. I can look around for a good price. Quantity?
Bingo, THP, I am getting about 2dz  week. If you can tell me the size/vending/UPC of the cap I wioll be GTG.  

Pookie, were you able to find out the size of the cap? I need about 50 or so.

The Hot Pepper said:

https://freundcontainer.com/3-oz-clear-glass-hot-sauce-bottles-cap-not-included-5014b33-b36/

https://freundcontainer.com/glass-hot-sauce-label-panel-bottles-w-cap/

Freund sells these in different sizes and since they sell them with caps and without, I would assume you can buy caps separately, but I didn't find them easily.  36/$24 

Good Luck! 

I have some ferments going, probably 12 gallons worth.  They would be good for these type bottles, but the thought of trying to bottle 'em with the small orifice....I dunno... I'll probably just go with the standard woozy and orifice reducer.  I know, I'm inherently lazy~~~  :lol:

Thanks THP....looking at the site I don't see an option without the orifice reducers.
also come with a $10 coupon for first time users  :dance:

I don't strain my sauce so the reducer will most likely plug up?

keep looking through the site.  Description  says "now available with orifice reducer", which indicates they should be available without.

Specialty Bottle sells the bottles without and reducers separately.  And you don't have to use the reducers, but they are nice to have around.

Back