• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Review: Bhut Jolokia

IMG_1148.jpg

This one came from JSKaiser today. This piece was pretty big, seeds, placenta, some oil, pretty nasty, :lol: Nice crunchy, fruity, and the jolokia flavour (if you know what I mean). At first not much, but about 10-15 seconds in WHOA! :mouthonfire: The tounge, back of tounge, and throat was scorching hot :hell: tiny bit on the lips. About a minute in I had to have some sips of milk, really quite a few :eek: :lol: Got a runny nose, felt warmer in the face. This sucker is HOT! After about 10-12 minutes everything returned to normal, slight warmness in the back of the throat though. This one got me wondering if I want to do this anymore, :lol: :lol: :beer: :crazy:

I've got a Bhut that's about completely orange right now. Can't wait for that one to fully ripen to red... it'll be my first super-hot. I'm not sure how I'll use it though; I might have to come up with a better method than the usual "chop up a whole pepper and cook it in the meat" method. If it's really as hot as it's supposed to be, it should be somewhere way out there in a league of its own...

yes , you're review is very accurate. right down to the ouch!! they leave a lasting impression on you. at least you can say you tried it now!

Good job! I am still looking at my pods :eek: working way up to the Red Bhut.

Right now I am having a love affair with the Savinas :rofl: Chocolate Bhut comes next :dance:

Not to hijack the thread, but my first Bhut ripened two days ago, and I picked it today. I managed to eat 1/4 of this pepper from hell.

Amazing is about all I can say. :mouthonfire:

4920929975_8d710fe381_b.jpg

4921526860_fc565e1cab_b.jpg

Wow I've got some just turning, last year I ended up with 20 nice size pods, way to hot for my taste buds, I think I may have killed a few people that got to try them, as they didn't come back for more. this year I only grew two plants along with a chocolate congo. Can't wait for my brother to try them, I'd eat them, but once was enough for me, took me two days to get over it. I still like growing them and any extras gets dried and made in to a powder, much easier to take that way, just a little at a time. I know I know I'm a big wussy.
George W.

...any extras gets dried and made in to a powder...
George, how well do the pods dry? I may try that too. I only ate 1/4 of the pepper, and probably the mildest part. Pretty intense pain on the tongue and throat. Reminded me of the worst sore throat I ever had, along with sweating and tearing eyes. My wife and daughter were laughing.

Wasatch, pictures are from a Nikon D40. Even I can make decent pics with this one.. :)

4921527046_46e6f147a0_b.jpg

Back