• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Review: Lucky Dog hot sauce

After poking around the forums I came across the maker of Lucky Dog hot sauce and bought the orange, pink and black labels.

First of all, they claim to make all natural sauces and I can tell you my mouth knows this is true. Everything was so clean and distinguishable on the tongue.

The orange sauce is the 3rd hottest they make of I think 7 or 8 varieties (i may have that wrong). Of the 3 I purchased it is also the sweetest with a garlic punch that grows. Now, I've been eating reaper and scorpion sauces as of late, so I can't attest to the heat for the average Joe, but I detect it amid the myriad of flavors. I tried it on pizza, and while not bad, it would be better with something not so savory as pepperoni and mushrooms, which brings me to the pink label. Not sure why I detect this one as sweeter than the pink label given the pink label has pear, but that's what I got. Its delicious with jalepeno and Habanero for the heat.

Pink label is probably my favorite of the 3. It's got a versatile tangyness that was FANTASTIC in marinara sauce and pasta, and of the 3 sauces did really well on the pizza. The heat is lovely, not too powerful for a ghost, serrano and habanero mix, and simply bursting with subtle notes of pear.

I should point out I have never hot sauced my pizza before.

Finally, the black label is their hottest with a mix of jalapeno and Trinidad scorpion. The apple is subtle and doesn't get in the way, as it often can in sauces, and it has that distinct scorpion flavor I love. Again, my tongue is a beast, so I didn't find this sauce very hot, BUT it is easily one of my favorites of my collection now with its complexity through simple ingredients. I also doused it on pizza, as well as egg burrito. For pizza I appreciated the pink more, but it was just about as good. I'm thinking I would love this on just about anything though.

So, I wanted to share the love. Buy a few bottles. The guy is super nice and amazing at customer service too.

Thanks for the review! I love the descriptions on food - I love the orange on traditional Mexican, or on a gyro or falafel or burgers/sausages. Great on eggs & potatoes too. Spot on with pink on pizza - yum. Really appreciate the kind words! :cheers:

Back