REVIEW of thegreenman's Chocolate 7pots

http://imgur.com/phPP6c9

Dammit! Tried uploading with my webcam right from YouTube and the video failed to process...

No video I guess!

THE REVIEW:

The Pod:
Externally these pods are pretty gnarly. They're about the length of a pinky finger and very wrinkled. Mean looking. Cutting it open, you get hit right away with a strong smell. Very C. chinense-like, sort of like a super fragrant habanero. Before doing the review I cooked the third pod into some rice and beans and the heat made it smell up the entire kitchen. Very floral aroma. There isn't too much placenta, oil on the walls, or seeds, but don't be deceived, this motha is hot!

Heat:
Holy shit were these pods hot. I thought Bhuts were tough but I was dead wrong. The heat hit me right away over the tip of my tongue, and my entire palette, front and back. My friend who was doing the video with me before it failed got a stronger throat and palette burn. Personally, I dislike throat burn so this was a pretty tough pod to get down. Stomach burn was manageable, I didn't feel like I was going to vomit as much as I did eating a Bhut Jolokia, but my face, neck, shoulders, and chest were all tingling like crazy for a couple minutes. Snotting and tearing up like my mom just died, it took about 10 full minutes for me to be able to talk in complete sentences.

Taste:
The flavor from this pod is tough to get as the heat hits you right away. The most noticeable thing about this pod is that the very strong, pungent floral aroma is evident in the taste. Every bite was like getting punched in the mouth by delicious flowers wearing brass knuckles. There was some bitterness but it wasn't unpleasant, this pod tasted very brown if that makes any sense. I got the taste of leather here and there just before I had finished chewing but then the heat really set in. After I swallowed there wasn't too much of a lingering flavor until the heat had almost completely passed, leaving only a faint floral tang at the back of the throat/palette.

Overall:
This is almost definitely the hottest pod I've ever eaten so far so I have to give it a 10/10 for heat. For flavor, I didn't find it delicious, but it wasn't bad either. If you like the traditional C. Chinense/floral/capsaicin flavor and smell, this pod is great for that. Would definitely work in any soup, rice, or pasta dish, but I wouldn't bake with it or use it fresh because the smell and taste are so strong it would likely overpower the other ingredients.

UPDATE: Almost four hours after eating one of these guys I still have pretty intense stomach pains. They came in two big waves so after the first burn leaves you, look out! These are some pretty brutal capsicum cramps. Gonna take me out of chili tasting for a while.

I'd like to thank thegreenman for the chilis and Nigel for pointers on how to do a review.

If anyone has pods they'd like me to review, send me a PM. Maybe there'll be a video next time!

Back