Reviewing the Donni Sali

Great review Nigel. I never tried (or heard of) the Donni Sali, but now I want to! That juice gushing out was amazing. It looks like there are far less seeds than other thai types have in them. Should be a great substitute for thais. Thanks!

Two words.
Finadene Sauce.

Awesome.

Finadene Sauce
This is the classic Guamanian hot sauce that contains the doni sali variety of bird peppers. It is used to spice up every conceivable food cooked on Guam. Some local ladies of the island prefer to add the onions fresh, just before serving.

• 10 to 12 doni sali peppers or substitute piquins, stems removed, minced.

• 1/3 cup soy sauce

• 1/2 cup lemon juice

• 1/2 cup chopped onions
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Keeps in the refrigerator indefinitely.
Yield: About 1 cup

Source:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/81-pacific/1951-guam-bird-peppers-of-the-pacific

Edit to note green onions, or it doesn't look or taste "right".
Purists will also state it isn't right without Guam lemons.

Several varieties of Finadene. Like real Mexican salsa, every family has it's own version.
Find a Chamorro friend to show you theirs.

Always enjoy the reviews, Nigel!

It's on my grow list for next year! Thanks Nigel, love your reviews.

When are you going to get your hands on a Sepia Serpent? I'd send you a few but I'm in Canada and they'd rot before they got to you.

saugapepper said:
It's on my grow list for next year! Thanks Nigel, love your reviews.

When are you going to get your hands on a Sepia Serpent? I'd send you a few but I'm in Canada and they'd rot before they got to you.
Good question, I`d love to try the Sepia Serpent. Hopefully, I will get a couple later in the summer. Thanks for the offer, but I`m sure you are right about shipping from Canada.

Pr0digal_son said:
My kind of review. People will burn their Thai plants after they eat a donne sali. Living with Guamanians I have that sauce in the fridge at all times.
Love Thais = they are one of my favorites. I have never tried Donne Sali - I may have to try to find some seeds and grow a few next year. 

buddy said:
Love Thais = they are one of my favorites. I have never tried Donne Sali - I may have to try to find some seeds and grow a few next year. 

Buddy, I will have some OP seeds this week. If you want isolated seeds, it will be a while, but I am more than willing to share some with you.

Woops nevermind, was thinking of some one else. Well I did send some to matt (mgold) and Jon (megahot) so look for their reviews

i do like the reviews - especially the ones that aint your run-of-the-mill superhot ...

there is just a huge amount of peppers out there- and they all have their place.

cheers and kudos,
Al

And I have it growing this year... never tried it before but thought I'd give Fruts a try this season with the thought of making sauce with them. They're so juicy that they seemed made for it. Your review has me really looking forward to it!

Back