• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

reviews of buddys anonymous box of peppers

I was lucky enough to win a box of buddy's peppers from this thread: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/25172-looking-for-a-home/

So I figured the least I could do was write a little review. There's a lot of different peppers in the box so I'll be updating as I go.

Background: I'm a novice pepper grower (but long time salsa lover) that has moved from jalapeno my first year growing, to serranos and habaneros my second year, to third year (this year) where I grew habs, orange fatalii(OF), peruvian purple (PP) and aji cito (AC). Next year I have plan to do my first year growing from seed which will allow even more variety. So this box will help set the groundwork for what I grow from seed.
For heat indexing purposes not hot=0 nuclear=10 my OF=9 Hab=8.5 PP=6 AC=6

Here is a picture of the peppers buddy sent me taken just after I opened it. Most peppers are in decent shape a few have a couple of soft spots, but still good shape on the whole.

buddy-peppers by SlowRolling, on Flickr

Here is my mini review in the order I've tasted them so far

#2 This was the first pepper I tasted. I took a med to thin slice(very warily since I have no idea what the spice level will be since I haven't researched it or seen anything like it) and it was very citrusy and very habanero tasting, but with virtually no heat, much less than a jalapeno, which was odd, so I sliced off another slice same citrusy note but still barely any heat. So I cut off another chunk and bam, heat hits my tounge instantly, has a hab style heat but still toned down maybe at about 75ish% of the heat of the orange habs I have in my yard, but hotter than my AC & PP. I like it will grow this one and try it out. Heat index 7.5ish

#9 This one visually looked very similar to the OF's I'm growing but slightly less wrinkly/foldy and maybe slightly smaller in size. I took a decent sized slice out of it, and could smell a very fatalii type smell but not as harsh as mine which will often make me hack a bit when I cut them if I breathe in too much. The taste was very Fatalii like but the heat hit immediately, the orange ones I'm growing seem to have a bit of a heat delay for about 5ish seconds. Had heat in the top of my throat which was noticeable every time I took a breath. These were noticably hotter than #2 closer to the hotness of my habs I'm growing. Will grow these as well since I could use a less harsh Fatalii :) Heat index 8.5ish

#4 No heat at all, decent taste though in a bell-pepper way, ate the whole thing. It is possible that there may have been a mild heat but if so it was overpowered from the after effects of eating #9 5-10 min before. Heat index 0
EDIT: wow, I decided to try another one of these and took a big old bite out of it and boy did the second #4 have some kick especially since I didn't expect it not sure if all the #4's are the same but the second one was a 7 on the heat index, but not much of a distinguishable flavor and all tounge heat

will post updates as I try more

I want to watch you eat a #10! (video)!!!!!!!

edit: And if you don't want the #9's, send'em to me!

#4 looks like trinidad red seasoning peppers

# 9 look like bonda ma jaques

#5 looks like jamaican hot choco hab

#8 could be any number of cayennes

#2 may be madame jeanette

hope this helps some

thanks your friend Joe

i think you have:
1. orange hab
2. yellow scorpion (maybe yellow 7)
3. red bhut
4. red paper lantern