• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe-help Rhed's Lemon Drop?

I'd play wit the ingredients, and note: it's fermented!

rhed's lemon drop.png

The description says a hint of turmeric and ginger, so you know, start with a low amount of that. It literally tells you the vinegar is distilled white. There's some great clues on this label.

Should I assume because of the onion and carrot that it would be cooked? I haven't stretched out much in my hot sauce making.

Yes, I would think it is. Also by the color you can probably tell how much carrot is in it. If it is bright yellow then not a lot. Also the turmeric is probably to help brighten up the yellow.

Interesting. They call out yellow onion, but do not list any sub ingredients for lime or lemon juice....which normally have some kind of preservative....

I'll bite on the derail. The ones in my fridge are 100% juice.

Vinegar is the lead ingredient of a fermented sauce? Unusual, to say the least.

The Nellie & Joes key west lime juice contains less than 1/10th of 1 % sodium benzoate.
ReaLime says 100% lime juice on the front, ingredients list ...lime juice from concentrate, less than 2% lime oil, sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite.

Yeah I get the all juice ones. This happens to be the one I have now, there's a few brands I get.

PXL_20210824_145103167.jpg

Vinegar is the lead ingredient of a fermented sauce? Unusual, to say the least.
Something like a Frank's or basic Louisiana is usually vinegar listed before the aged peppers.

Well yeah, vinegar halts a ferment so that actually has to be the case. I've only has one raw ferment bottled sauce. The rest were processed.

I've never done a ferment. I want to and want your advice. Do you have a thread on it, I could sticky as a tutorial, or could you write one, with all the equipment needed and all?

Wow! Thanks, Pook! I’m honored!
07CC0CF9-FF5C-4345-8B71-189FE93791BC.gif

Closest I’ve got to a tutorial is here...

Rocketman and Chili Monsta (sp?) already made a killer tutorial that’s already a sticky, right?

Back